brake pedal travel

hi, just fitted new discs & pads to my wifes 2002 micra, i have about 2 " of pedal travel before the pads touch the discs.(was like this before i fitted the parts) is this normal on a micra ? had it a couple of months now & getting it ready for m.o.t. thanks for any help/info. steve.

I should have been more specific, sorry... what happened with him was the spring lost its tension when stretched so it took a greater distance for the spring to resist tension... Might the same for you

hi, max.thank you for your reply. spring is fine on the brake pedal. i have also adjusted the rear brakes so they just touch the drums( having fitted new brake shoes & a new cable on n/s) handbrake is on 3 clicks.dont know if brakes were like this before,, as car was delivered on a trailer. cheers, steve.

no. still the same ! going to recheck everything again. could possibly need the brakes bled. spoke to the 85 year old guy i bought it from, and he said it was fine when parked it up in march ( i got it end of june) prob not been looked after for a couple of years ( at least ) ah well at least i will get it sorted soon. thanks max. steve.

Change the brake fluid. New brakes as I'm sure you're aware have a usual 500 mile bedding process under gentle driving. This can also cause poor brake pedal feel for a while. When you fitted the brakes, did you remove the master brake cylinder reservoir cap before you depressed the piston in the caliper?

hi, max. yes, i did remove the master cylinder cap, as you can damage the seal if you dont .i gently used a wind back tool. the discs were not worn out, just scored due to worn out brake pads.i recently did my brothers 2005 galaxy tdi, same job ( pads & discs) his is fine. as is my 2004 tdci focus of which i did last year. yes, you are prob correct with the brake fluid change & bleed.will try to get it sorted over the next week. cheers max. steve.

My micra has 53mm of play before the brakes bite and I also have brand new discs and pads. Brakes feel solid, they work effectively so I'm not fussed about the pedal free play. My accelerator pedal also has about 25mm off free play. If the brake operation is fine then the issue is likely to be with the pedal, not the braking system. Air in the system could cause something similar but it would feel spongy and unresponsive.

I have a peugeot partner and citroen picasso with the same pedal feel. The only vehicle we have that has immense brake pedal feel is the jeep cherokee.

My micra has 53mm of play before the brakes bite and I also have brand new discs and pads. Brakes feel solid, they work effectively so I'm not fussed about the pedal free play. My accelerator pedal also has about 25mm off free play. If the brake operation is fine then the issue is likely to be with the pedal, not the braking system. Air in the system could cause something similar but it would feel spongy and unresponsive.

I have a peugeot partner and citroen picasso with the same pedal feel. The only vehicle we have that has immense brake pedal feel is the jeep cherokee.[

I have a peugeot partner and citroen picasso with the same pedal feel. The only vehicle we have that has immense brake pedal feel is the jeep cherokee.
thanks for the help & info max. its our 1st micra. you have been very helpful. cheers m8. steve.

I had exactly the same issue with mine. In the master cylinder there is a primary and secondary. If the primary seals get hard and leak internally your brakes will still work on the secondary. This will give you a long pedal travel though. I stripped down the master cylinder and replaced all the seals.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

hi, thanks for the reply. im going to bleed the brakes 1st to see if it helps.. if its still the same then will try a master cylinder.problem is cant find any k11 micras in my local scrappys. cheers . steve.

hi, brakes now sorted ! fitted a master cylinder from a scrappy, only £5. bled the brakes, & they are a lot better. with very little pedal travel. thanks to everyone who give me help & info. cheers lads. steve.

Back