Brake Paint (high temp or ordinary)

N

nismotronic

Hi Folks,

I know this topic has been raised loads of times but I still couldnt find the answer when searching the forum. Ive just finished painting my drums today in black hammerite direct to rust metal paint in smooth black.

The thing is I went to show my mate and he asked if it was high temperature paint I used! I didnt even know it existed. I think the ordinary stuff is is gonna be ok for the rear's as they dont get that hot but I also used it on the front hub section that obviousy gets pretty warm.

Have I used the wrong stuff?! :doh:

Same here mate, i used normal hammerite on the back, but used high temp paint on my calipers. 90% of hammerite is high temp anyway buddy!

Cool, it should have well dried off by now so gonna give it a good run today.

i actually emailed hammerite about this (regarding the metal smooth finish paint range) sometime ago and was advised that it would be fine...infact ive just checked my old emails and heres the reply i recieved :

"The Hammerite paint will go up to 120 C for short periods of time and 90c
for longer protracted periods. So if it the surface falls into those
temperature bracket then it should be fine.

As long as the surface has been thoroughly cleaned then I don't see a
problem with using our product on your calipers."

hope that helps :)

Really appreciate the time youve taken to look into this for me. Thanks very much! Gave it a good run today and it seems totally fine. Got a slight new paint smell but it didnt seem as if it was melting or that. Nice one. :)
Only used 1/4 of the can so I think I may find other places to put it. Maybe a bit on the track rod end or maybe the rear axle. Maybe just getting carried away. :grinning:

no worries :)

unfortuantly, thats what'll happen now you've got the paint lol

im speaking from experience. had some left over :) and ive now done the driveshafts, hubs, rear axle, drums etc etc...pretty much everything that was originally black now has new paint...though i must admit id probably would have been so "painty" if they werent already off the car.

Back