Brake light question

N1554N

Site Supporter
is the brake light supposed to come on when the ignition is off? (just noticed as the mrs got in the car) when i saw it comes on, it does only when the brake pedal is pushed.
We got a Y reg K11 automatic....

Not sure on automatics, but mine did with the ingnition off, and I had a manual. So I imagine an auto is probably the same. They do on most cars, come to think of it

this is possibly something i have never noticed (what with being sat in the front of the car) :p so it may well be the norm, just wasn't sure! what would be the reason for them working when ignition is off..???

Not sure, I can only think of a couple of reasons - turning your engine off when sat in traffic, engine cutting out and needing to stop asap, I'm sure someone on here will give a good reason for it :laugh:

its why they done away with flare sticks , now if you crash down alpine ravine or into sea / ocean use break lights for signaling location

Haha I did wonder about this, as I've noticed this myself on my K11. It seems perfectly normal, and yeah, signalling to traffic I'm guessing that you've braked for example if your engine cuts out or stalls, or if you've switched your engine off in traffic.

Back