bonnet scoop for C.A.I

CMF_maat

» CMF Member
howdy everyone, long time reader, first time postin'

as the title suggest im looking into getting a bonnet scoop to feed my pod with some cold air because the micras got no room to run a decent pipe or anything through to the filter.. just a few questions but, im worried that when it rains is it going to affect the filter if water goes in the scoop? id like to know what peoples opinions are on what i should do.. idealy id like to have a box made up around my pod in the engine bay out of aluminium to seal it and have the scoop directly on top of it..

thanks in advance

matt

CMF_Toma

» CMF Member
Hey Matt.
Nice to see a new Perth Micra Member :D

Im not sure what the deal is with bonnet scoops, but I do believe they need an engineers certificate, otherwise, youll be slapped with a yellow sticker.

http://www.micra.com.au/technical-articles/compact-cold-air-intake.php
Alot of people have this setup, and its a pretty well detailed guide. If you stick to this method, youll have cold air intake, AND a really good filtering system. Pods can be more trouble than theyre worth, as alot of them simply dont filter as well as the stock filter. I believe theres a post about Air Filters and their respective filtering capabilities.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
I wouldn't use that guide cisco has written there. Its good to get cooler air alright but it'll be bad for the top end. You want the air intake to be as short as possible. Ideally whacking a pod filter straight onto the opening to the AFM and whacking a box around that which is fed with a nice supply of cool air is the best bet.

Requires a bit of custom fabrication though heh.

CMF_Sean

» CMF Member
Yom WROTE:

"I wouldn't use that guide cisco has written there. Its good to get cooler air alright but it'll be bad for the top end. You want the air intake to be as short as possible. Ideally whacking a pod filter straight onto the opening to the AFM and whacking a box around that which is fed with a nice supply of cool air is the best bet.<BR><BR>Requires a bit of custom fabrication though heh.

Ideally that wouldn't be the best option...

Sean

Back