Blue Monster's gearbox conversion progress

cisco

» CMF Member
Allright. Some good news now.

Clutch arrived (thanks Errol). Now I have both micra hubs ready to go and all bearings sorted. Going out to put the final hub back in and throw the entire car back together.

Exciting stuff! Possibly LSD tonight. Stuck into it, hopefully done by 10pm for a test drive!

Calipers are all dried and ready to be slammed on.

cisco

» CMF Member
Sometimes I have the laptop running in the garage playing mp3s. But hehe nah I just keep ducking inside every so often.

No sleep tonight that's for sure. Far out.
I underestimated a couple of stupid things, but we're sweet now.

Woohoo the LSD box is in the car, engine mounts and everything all back together. New clutch installed. Way to go.

Now just installing starter motor and driveshafts. So almost got bluey back together.

I don't think I will bother installing the front ABS sensors because I think I will remove the ABS soon. See how we go anyway.

Well there we have it, Japanese 31V box bolts up perfectly to our aussie micras. I can even change the gear stick and it feels like it has 5 gears. Wooh!

cisco

» CMF Member
Yay the car started and drove. Wheel alignment was all over the place. Could straight away notice it pull differently when exiting a corner. I put the foot down a tad in 2nd gear and it pull straight kind of thing as opposed to turning more. Yay a successful mission, everything working like a dream and no scary noises thank god.

Then I got a wheel alignment done. My camber bolts are worn out, so I'm running 1.5deg neg camber. This is a bit too much for daily driver street use, so the tyres are at a bad angle. So I'll order a new set of camber bolts from whiteline soon and knock the camber back to around 0.7deg neg or so. At present with this camber (even with the vLSD), I can still spin both wheels. Any wonder with the tyres as such a dodge angle. Exiting corners it seems to grip very very well now, kind of launches forward because of the LSD and the camber working together I suspect.

So aim to get that corrected very soon so that I can improve the off the line traction.

Can't wait to test it out in the wet.

I will keep you all posted on how the LSD performs with totally honest comments. I.e. if it still loses traction, I'll tell you honestly. I suspect the camber will improve it a lot so it gets total grip, but I'll advise on how it turns out.

The 190mm clutch feels great, identical setup to my old one.

Ahh its great to boost around once again.

Mighty we will go for a cruise soon if you're keen. Maybe tomorrow.?

CMF_Alex_B

» CMF Member
excellent cisco, will be interested in reading your comments on the lsd. And gee i know what you mean regaudring working on the car. When i put my swaybars in (by myself) thought it would take 2-3hrs max, ended up working on car until 3am, my alarm went off at 5am for 7am start at work, somehow i turned my alarm off and woke up at 7am, got to work at 8:30, hehe,

Alex

CMF_Ed

» CMF Member
Nice work, very interesting. The 31V box is fitted standard to all March Superturbos. I'd be interested to see how long the box lasts, since I have broken 5th gear twice on mine now. As for the LSD comments. Its utterly terrible in the wet or snow. Infact in those conditions I hate it, for the dry, its not so bad, just spin up both sets of wheels but at least its controllable. You just have to drive properly as IMO your more likely to crash by understeer with an LSD than without.

Back