bike carbs nearly fitted

daveeeeee

Ex. Club Member
ok, speedle your prob tha man for this. the carbs are bolted up and ready to go just need to pipe them up, few questions.

1.there are two pipes i'm that i'm not sure what to do with. there the two small ones coming from just benith the ait intakes.

2. the accelerator cable is hooked up but theres very little give in the pedal, the slightest movement of the foot and the throtle is fully open, is this just the way it is or have i gone wrong somewhere?

thats all, hope to fire them up tomoro.

ok mate PM sent about fitting em,

1. show me a pic of the pipes mate not sure which ones you mean

2. again show me a pic, although the less play the better, show me how you attached the cable

;)

ok then will get pics asap, i managed to get the carbs on without removing the studs. was a struggle but manged it somehow lol will take them back off tonight and get some pis as i need a new gasket before there refitted any way.

ok so heres basicaly how they are at the mo

4.jpg

now i've taken these pics with the carbs still on cos i didnt really have enough time today so if the pics arent good enough then i'll take em of and get some better ones

these are the pipes i dont know what to do with. (two in middle coming from behind carbs)

3.jpg

boggbros4-1.jpg

1.jpg

they go in benith the air intakes

now the accelerator cable opens the throttle but the pedal only has to be pushed about 1cm and thats as far as it will go. i noticed on the bit of cable you sent me that you had cut one end of the stopper of, i didnt do this. is this the reason? is it catching on somthing maybe. if thats not the reason then i'll av them off over the weekend and get some proper pics.

cheers

hi dave

those pipes leave as they are, they would connect to the airbox if one was fitted but they are breather pipes so can be left as is with no problems, as for the accel cable yes you need to make it like the piece in the box or it will catch (why i put that in the box so you could see how to do it) :)

once youve cut the cable it should allow full travel of the pedal ;)

sorted out the accelerator cable and bingo! fired them up and the sound is imense! very chuffed indeed :) will get a recording up soon (pc's up the creek, at college atm)

just one thing left to do, the mani is leaking coolent as i need a new inlet gasket, where can i get one? at the moment i've got a makeshift gasket just so i could start em up.

well due to the mot coming up soon they will have to come off for a breif time. but very little setting up really needed, they run sluggish without the timing advanced but thats pretty much it. the vacum for the brakes is on the inlet manifold i believe

i still dont understand where the vacuum for the brakes fit, cos if you connect it to 1 of the ports it will unbalance them

It seems to work fine though. Speedle & Paul never had any problems. The manifold looks it's been very well put together (I also owned it but never fitted).

i will try and get some for you, as arnold said it is very well made. i have to say the only difficult part to fitting these ones in particular is actual getting the things on! speedle had to remove the studs to get them on, some how i managed to get them on without having to remove them but then the clutch cable gets in the way so it was quite fiddly. if you are planning on doing this then idealy the mani could be shorter as this will allow for easier fitting and also the fitting of air filters.

hi dave so how do u get around the clutch cable problem and do u have some pics on it and how did u sort the throttle cable out to give full movement of the pedal

just remembered a little something about carbs so to all who are doing this or have done this when u use the carbs and remove them make sure you drain all the petrol out and never turn upside down until u r sure all the petrol is out or the vaccum diaframs will swell up if in contact with petrol dont ask me why it happens it just does and i found out the hard way working in a bike garage my boss was not inpressed but he forgot to remind me lol hope this helps all

didnt know this, what would be the result if this happend? good job u said that as i wouldnt have thought of it when removing them.
i had to cut away some of the plastic and squeeze it round one of the trumpets its all just very awkward

ok the diaframs in the top of the carb will swell up and will become to big not sure if u have taken the top caps off but there is a big spring in there which pushes the diafram down when u throttle down this is the part that will be fine it is when u open the throttle because honda being good with making things the piping is inside the carb so thay set the spring tension to just enought and if the diafram swells up it will take more to open the diafram and make the carbs very un balanced

Back