Bigger Rims

H

hairy

Hi,

Want to change my wheels and tyres to 15". What is the implications of this? Does it effect gear ratios or something (heard this somewhere). How wide can you go before they start to stick out of the arches? Dorry bit dim about these things.

Hairy
1997 SR in Red

15's will be they best. changing the wheels will give you a different vehicle speed compared to what is on the speedo.

also if you use a 195/45 tyre it will keep the speeds nearly the same :) along with causing no problems with rubbing etc :)

As above really. Don't go any bigger than 15's, as you lose speed, and also might have problems with rubbing.
Titch :kungfu:

so what happens if you lower it 40mm and put 15" on as will will it rub or not:laugh:

mini_skyline said:
so what happens if you lower it 40mm and put 15" on as will will it rub or not:laugh:
Probably not as I have 15s on and am lowered about 35mm and it isnt rubbing. The Micra is like a monster truck when there are 15s on and not lowered.

scottish-sr said:
Probably not as I have 15s on and am lowered about 35mm and it isnt rubbing. The Micra is like a monster truck when there are 15s on and not lowered.

i will second that.

anyone think it might rub lowered 35mm with 3 passengers in the back?

i have 185/55

cool cool i was thinking about buying some 15" and lowering springs etc after picking the car up for free how good is that:laugh:

Hughes16v mine is lowered 35mm all round wiv 15's and when i had 3 in the back it didnt rub BUT any bump and u hear your exhaust bang on the floor!!!!!

hughes_16v said:
i will second that.

anyone think it might rub lowered 35mm with 3 passengers in the back?

i have 185/55
One way to find out, try it,lol.

Also Dr Zoidberg, how does putting bigger wheels on effect the reading on the speedo to the actual speed? I thought it was done through the gearbox.

its to do with the overall circumference of the wheel and tyre. and how far the wheel will travel in one full rotation, ie 175/60/13 is pretty much the same size as 195/45/15 circumference wise, so not much change 3% iirc.

so putting on like 17's will change speed cos it changes the distance the wheel will travel in one complete rotation. its a crap explanation i know lol, cna't really explain it tbh.

maybe someone else can.......

if you use a tyre size calculator like http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
put in your stock tyre+wheel size then you new one and it will tell you the difference.

benmicrasr said:
Hughes16v mine is lowered 35mm all round wiv 15's and when i had 3 in the back it didnt rub BUT any bump and u hear your exhaust bang on the floor!!!!!

good good but the exhaust will have too go if it bangs

Back