big brakes

Hi guys, new to the forum.

Quick question, probably already been covered but what the hell...
Does anyone know or can speak from experience......whats the biggest front brakes i can get on a K11 under 15" alloys??
Anyone know of/have any for sale?
Wilwood, HiSpec, items etc?

Thanks in advance, Ben

Thanks for the speedy response guys! Yes im looking into the GTIR set up.
Just checked out your link PollyP very useful i will more than likely refer to this when doing mine.
Cheers!

How modified is your micra?

Unless you are pushing crazy power I would go with ga16 brakes as they offer a good balance between un-sprung weight and stopping power. The Gti-r brakes will add a good chunk to your un-sprung weight.

Well its turbo'd still on standard brakes so desperatly needs better stopping power.
And fully stripped so i wont notice a few extra Kg's here and there :)

with the idea of potentially more power now that ur turboing, it'll be cost effective to upgrade parts "once" to support the end target result, as you've set out on this thread.

so if u predict ur gonna go for mega power in the future then u fit the best brakes & clutch n other supporting systems that'll support that end performance rather than incrementally "fit, test, break & upgrade" multiple inferior parts that all adds up cost in the end.

the gtir brakes will be twice as heavy as stock solid k11 brakes cos its twice the amount of metal but I fitted lightweight forged alloys to help

stopping power is more to do with decelerating weight than power really tho eh, a 60mph artic tractor has huge brakes, in order to slow 40 tons of weight down, yet a 100 mph rotax kart has just the 1 little caliper (and no front brakes at all)
and without a suitable bias valve or bigger M/C the gti/gtir (same brakes) will lock up the fronts too early, and give a long pedal too

choosing the appropriate braking system is all about heat management (turning kinetic energy into heat) making sure it has the capacity to withstand the max amount of abuse it'll experience in its operating environment.

depends on alot of factors such as weight, power, application, operating temperature window of the pads and dissipation rate of the discs and is quite a complex science so won't go into it much, and this is purely imo & top of me head so don't take this as actual fact.

more weight = more potential energy
more power/speed = more kinetic energy
more braking pressure = higher rate of kinetic energy transformed into heat
more frequent application of brakes (such as on track with loadsa corners and minimal cooling periods or downhill) = higher rate of heat energy thrown at the discs to dissipate

totaling all the factors above gives us the max heat energy the brakes have to handle

an analogy I can think of is like pouring water into a leaking bucket:

height of bucket =operating temperature window of the pads
height of water = temperature
overflow = fading pads
middle of bucket = optimum pad temperature for max coefficient of friction
volume of bucket = heat soak capacity of system
size of hole = rate of heat dissipation
volume of the pouring bucket = weight
height of the pouring bucket = power/speed
rate of pouring = braking pressure
frequency of pouring = frequency of braking

Back