BHP guess

kev_mono72

Ex. Club Member
Ok, i want to know what power you guys recon im getting out of my car with the following modifications:

MA12 (stripped down and rebuilt before fitting)with MA10 Carb and 5 speed close ratio box
Performance Race X Induction kit (+oil breather :p)
RAPTOR exhaust
NGK-R Plugs
HOTWIRES silicone spark leads

I have the superturbo bonnet providing cold air directly to the induction kit (removed cone cover)

Any ideas?

64/65bhp.

standard is 60. with standard manifolds you wont see a huge power gain.

edit: is the exhuast downpipe back? I dont see plugs, leads and an oil breather as a performance modification myself.

either way your only gonna get a few extra bhp with those mods...

:)

Attachments

• chasis leg 1.jpg
    chasis leg 1.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 226
  • chasis leg 6.jpg
    chasis leg 6.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 239
  • chasis leg 5.jpg
    chasis leg 5.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 220
  • chasis leg 4.jpg
    chasis leg 4.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 194
  • chasis leg 3.jpg
    chasis leg 3.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 224
  • chasis leg 2.jpg
    chasis leg 2.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 213
  • engine arived.jpg
    engine arived.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 256
I have a mushroom HKS style filter on mine and carb runs lean, i put the standard filter and pan on and it goes faster,

too much air gets in and it runs lean, need to get carb set up with bigger jets.

Kev - standard ma12 is 60bhp@6000rpm, says in haynes manual

thought so... that backbox will do nothing for power.. Also i dont see plugs and leads as a mod. You would need a dyno to measure the output and it would add upto to 1 BHP or so. I say you will be pushing out almost standard power. TBH mate there is no point in trying to tune this engines without money to throw at them to get custom stuff made.

Ian

Attachments

• off side 8.jpg
    off side 8.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 197
  • off side 7.jpg
    off side 7.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 200
  • off side 6.jpg
    off side 6.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 219
  • off side 5.jpg
    off side 5.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 216
  • off side 4.jpg
    off side 4.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 197
  • off side 3.jpg
    off side 3.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 231
  • off side 2.jpg
    off side 2.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 206
  • off side 1.jpg
    off side 1.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 243
Mark said:
I have a mushroom HKS style filter on mine and carb runs lean

The carb (Hitachi or Weber) runs totally ok with no filter on whatsoever. It's got loads of overhead, and removing a restriction won't cause a working carb to run lean. They meter fuel based on airflow. We've even had one running on mild ram air and it has been fine. Raceworx I think is running one with boost.

well mine is faster with standard filter on,

with my mushroom filter on it barely hits 100 and get a higher top speed with my foot half way than all the way to the floor.

the backbox would do something, i've got a full powerflow system on mine and it goes a lot quicker than it did with just the standard system.

MA10 without air filter and with straight exhaust without any mufflers had 7hp gain, so I'd guess that you have around 65hp if the engine is otherwise in perfect condition as like it would just left from factory

Ok, cool, thanks!
I dont know why you think the exhaust does nothing ian...

My car absolutely flies up to about 80/90, then it struggles to go over the clock...

have to disagree ian.

my old red 1.2LS did 18.1 quarter mile (still the club record) with just a backbox and not a full system.

loosing too much back pressure in the exhaust can make the car slower you have to get the balance right

Mark 18.1 is not your the club record. Mike (Dragular) achived this also way back in 2004.

Also its not about loosing back pressure its about timing the pressure pulses from the exhaust to extract the next ones that come along. It creates a near vacume from the exhuast ports. :)

ma12's are 60bhp stock. an aftermarket back box will probably slow you down in the real world, costing you mid range torque. A close ratio gearbox will make it even slower.

Best thing you can do with an MA12 is leave it totally stock with a wide ratio 5 speed box on or even a 4 speed. If you want to do your sort of tuning, get a high comp MA10 and put theclose ratio box on etc, they're a more revvy engine.

I had an MA10 with the 4speed, was fun, but the ma12 + 5 speed is definitly faster, well, in acceleration terms anyway, thats what im more interested in, speed is good, but getting there in the fastest time possible is the enjoyment!

Never buy the 4 speed unless you've got no choice. There are 3 different 5 speed boxes, one which has much higher numerical ratios, and one which has much lower numerical ratios than the 4 speed. So you can have acceleration with economy and top speed if you really want.

theres ponly 2 different 5 speeds. a normal pone, which is like the 4 speed with an added gear, and a close ratio one which is a waste of time.

That's not true. There are 3 different 5 speeds, and none of them are like the 4 speed with an added gear, because the final drive ratios are different.

There is the pre-85 5 speed which shares the same ratios 1-4 as the 4 speed, but the final drive ratio is different. Then there are two newer 5 speeds, with the same 1-5 ratios but different final drive ratios. You are always better off with a 5 speed, whichever one.

Attachments

• Picture 190.jpg
    Picture 190.jpg
    485.6 KB · Views: 228
  • Picture 179.jpg
    Picture 179.jpg
    486.2 KB · Views: 213
  • Picture 047.jpg
    Picture 047.jpg
    473.4 KB · Views: 195
Mark 18.1 is not your the club record. Mike (Dragular) achived this also way back in 2004.

Also its not about loosing back pressure its about timing the pressure pulses from the exhaust to extract the next ones that come along. It creates a near vacume from the exhuast ports. :)
what power are ma10's pushing out mate?

ma12's are 60bhp stock. an aftermarket back box will probably slow you down in the real world, costing you mid range torque. A close ratio gearbox will make it even slower.

Best thing you can do with an MA12 is leave it totally stock with a wide ratio 5 speed box on or even a 4 speed. If you want to do your sort of tuning, get a high comp MA10 and put theclose ratio box on etc, they're a more revvy engine.
What power does an ma10 have mate?

Back