Best way to clean a manky engine bay?

OK so my micra has 13 years of cap under the bonnet!

I want to clean it up but don't fancy jet washing it... what's the best gear / technique to get it cleaned up without breaking too much of a sweat

Cheers

Urine, as it has acid properties, not saying you have to unzip your trousers and start pissing in the engine bay but use a bottle and a clean paintbrush. No joke!!

J

Urine, as it has acid properties, not saying you have to unzip your trousers and start pissing in the engine bay but use a bottle and a clean paintbrush. No joke!!

J
does the paint brush have to be clean lol, as long as its not ya own and ya don't use it again lmao

does the paint brush have to be clean lol, as long as its not ya own and ya don't use it again lmao
Dunno if I'd rather use my own or a strangers lol

Although I am in no way doubting that if I yank out the pink worm and hose my engine bay down with yesterday's red bull it wouldn't degrease the engine bay... I think I'll give that one a miss haha.

Might get the Muc Off out and give it and blast with that cheers fellas

Above posts are taking the maidens water!

A pressure washer egg cup full of water entering the engine can hydraulic lock it and destroy the engine.

Pressure washing is a risky quick way to trash engine management electronics electrical systems creating problems that show up later.

Combustion engines are inherently dirty noisy and nasty that are best hidden away when you close the bonnet and forget about it.

The optimum solution is to put petrol in the tank, yourself in the front seat and just drive the thing. That’s what it was built for.

There are much better nicer things to be doing with one’s life than messing about cleaning engines creating problems with no benefit.

Paraffin, warm engjne, spray on, it'll fall off with a little effort.
The paraffin then evaporates and will not hurt the electrics, best damp electrics dryer - ever.

I find wd40 n rag a good initial cleaner (& preferably disassembling into separate bits to reach everywhere)

maybe the good old home remedy diluted lemon juice spray & wipe :D
keeps it smelling freshh
index.jpg

Nope, paraffin. Spray all over engine, leave it to work and then spray it again with a bit of pressure, it will fall off.
Then anything missed will evaporate.

I say piss up your engine and scrub like a hoe!!

Jizer up your engines!

"And Dream Of Sheep"
Enjoy little light shining,
Little light will guide them to me.
My face is all lit up.

They'll not take me for a buoy.
Let me be weak,
Let me sleep
And dream of sheep.

"Come here with me now."
Oh, I'll wake up
To any sound of engines,
I can't keep my eyes open--

I tune in to some voices
Talking 'bout stupid things.
I can't be left to my engine imagination.

Let me be weak,
Let me sleep
And dream of sheep.

Ooh, their breath is warm
And they smell like sleep,
And they say they take me home

Like poppies heavy with seed
They take me deeper and deeper.

Reference; Kate Bush;

KATE BUSH Lyrics
C:\Users\plmval\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.png

C:\Users\plmval\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image002.png

Do you have to use a lot of parrafin?
No. Put some in a spray bottle and spray all over, let it work its way into the grime. Pump up the bottle and spray again, the muck will slide off.
Wipe down with a rag - done. No electric problems as it evaporates, also a brilliant damp starter.
Engine should be warm-ish, not hot or it will just evaporate before your eyes.

Back