Best place to live?

pixieness

Ex. Club Member
Dear all,

I am looking to move to Nottinghamshire or Norfolk in the next year or so. However I've been warned away, especially from Nottinghamshire, with warnings that many areas around there are nasty and rough.

Does anyone have any recommendations of where should be avoided at all costs around the east-midlands area of England??? Or where would be awesome to live. Umm and no, I can't afford a quarter of a million pounds for a house, so don't suggest places where everyone lives in a palace :laugh:

Katy x

everywhere you go there are rough places, there is also rough people where ever you go, the best way to find somewhere to live is to visit it, especially after dark, and avoid any properties which are next to shops, they are a magnet to louts and litter bugs. Check out this site http://www.upmystreet.com/

Derbyshire is a cracking place to live thats where I'm from so abviously its great lol. Notts is fine as sonic said all places have rough areas and that what gets the publicity but all in all notts isn't bad at all.

Warrington area looked quite nice from what we saw, and according to kristian, the house prices are so cheap!!

Bristol is fab! Not exactly East-midlands but its friendly and there is loads of good places to go.

I'd avoid Leeds if you are a student, unless you have an armoured vehicle and 24/7 security. Ditto Sunderland if you have a foreign accent (ie anyone who doesnt live in Sunderland). Jersey is sunny and nice but if you fart the police will be round.
Dudley is a pit and should be avoided, according to my mate who grew up there.

Well I've lived in the North East (went to uni at Durham), don't want to go as far north as Yorkshire but want to be on the coast hence ruling out Derbyshire. Also have lived in the North West, Helsby, near Warrington - it's a dump! That's why house prices are so cheap *lol*

Ok. So here we are. Notts, Lincs or Norfolk???

P.S. Sonic - that upmystreet site is BRILLIANT!!!! Thank you so much!

if you want to be on the east coast then have a look around the Skegness area or even in Northumbria, Alnwick is a beatiful area, I have an Aunt in Beadnell in Nurthumbria, its somewhere I would love to move to.

my uncle lives in a little place called horncastle, lovely quiet roralish place in linconshire, plus its only 21 miles fromskegvegas. lol

Yeah oxford is a pretty nice place. Sonic's right about the bikes though, they're everywhere!

I wouldn't wanna live in nottingham. Crime capital of the UK!

But in Nottingham there used to be three girls to each bloke, that was a few years ago though.

thats cos half the guys are doing time!

oxford is brilliant if you like to chill out and relax. got teh student ness of good drinking sessions!
but got the cioty life of money!

not far from london! and if you go to the outsskirts of oxford, headington, whitney, thame, etc they lovely places wiothout trouble!

i personally would never live in norfolik. unless you love turnips, cos thats all that is piled up for miles! oh and lots of tractors and combine harvestors!

"went ta town on me combine 'arvister"

I'd like to point out that Nottingham is the crime capital - not Nottinghamshire! :laugh: I don't want to live in Oxfordshire because I'd like to get a 2-bedroom house for LESS than quarter of a million pounds hehehe!

I quite fancy Skegness.

Ahh! I'd love to move back to Northumbria or somewhere - but tragically having been living in Herts I've found I like being close to my London-based friends for the first time since leaving university *lol*

Interesting the thoughts some people have on where's best to live!

It's a myth about Turnips in Norfolk

Norfolk does not Grow Turnips !! Lived here for a number of years and never seen a turnip field in Norfolk, Now Lincolnshire is were they grow Turnips ie Skegness.

Only thing about moving to Norfolk is make sure you have a lot of money as houses are expensive.

About 85% of this country is 'nice'.....it's just that some people living in the rest of the country don't like 'nice' which is why it's the way it is....the authoritys should go out and find these people who don't like 'nice' and give them a small injection to make them want 'nice', then everywhere WOULD be 'NICE'...!!!

tis easy when you know how.....:unclesam:

Back