Best petrol for a K10

lewic

Ex. Club Member
Anyone know what the best type of petrol is for a 1991 K10 LS?

The Haynes manual helpfully says "fuel type - petrol"... Its currently running OK on normal unleaded, but is the 'super' type better? Or should I put an additive in? Engine has done 100k.

i think there was a thread about this before apparently the gains are not noticeable and tbh i doubt if you rolling roaded it it would show! its only worth while if its a large turbo'd and mapped engine set to run with higher grade fuel. as far as i know any way!

Yeah run 95 unless you've made any engine enhancements which require a higher octane.

lewic said:
Anyone know what the best type of petrol is for a 1991 K10 LS?

The Haynes manual helpfully says "fuel type - petrol"... Its currently running OK on normal unleaded, but is the 'super' type better? Or should I put an additive in? Engine has done 100k.

the old 4 star (not lrp) if you can find it,but at £1.50 ltr its not cheap to run on the road
but if you can set your timing to about 18 dg advance and you will notice a difference.

ok this has been gone over and over so do a quick search.

In my opinion MA10's run better on higher octane fuel (than MA12's), they were all origonally set up for the better stuff but will run happily on regular stuff.

Although I run an MA12 (which says use super on the inside of the filler cap) I use 95 octane with a tank or two of super every once in a while. Given the milage I do I consider it to be fairly reasonable.

Whats the real difference in fuels? 99 and 95...?

Btw hey everyone here, il be posting a proper intro soon. Great forum!

it's the octane rating, If I were you i'd do a google/wikipedia search, i'm not being rude I just don't think i'd be able to explain sufficiently the differences.

basically 98octane fuels have a greater potential to go bang and thus cycle can be quicker the downside being that if the engine doesn't compensate for it or is unable to deal with the early bang it can 'pink' or detonate before it should do leading to damage to the engine, yada yada yada

MA12:) said:
it's the octane rating, If I were you i'd do a google/wikipedia search, i'm not being rude I just don't think i'd be able to explain sufficiently the differences.

basically 98octane fuels have a greater potential to go bang and thus cycle can be quicker the downside being that if the engine doesn't compensate for it or is unable to deal with the early bang it can 'pink' or detonate before it should do leading to damage to the engine, yada yada yada

My god lol, wikipedia... my brain hurts! Definatly too complicated for me atm.
Il just go along with whatever you guys say lol :p

Back