Battery leakage current

My Micra's battery discharges over a day - connected an ammeter to check leakage current (1 amp plus!), and noticed that the LCD clock display flickered regularly (relay?). Removed "Room Lamp" internal fuse - LCD went off, and leakage current dropped to almost zero. Display works when car started, and battery not now discharging massively. Not an ideal solution, but working for now. Any advice?

Have you fitted anything recently? (upto a month or two), I fitted a relay so I can switch on all my interior/exterior neons/led's on but after a month or so, fund that I was having trouble in the mornings starting my car even with a powerpack and a seperate 20ah battery, found out the relay I used was faulty. I got a RSC16 Smartcharger from work, reconditioned the battery and fully charged it and I haven't had a problem since.

No - nothing added - problem just seems to have appeared out of nowhere. Alternator pumping out 14v when running, and battery about 12.4 (when I've finished charging it!). The only other clue I've got at the moment is that the handbrake dash indicator is on all the time when car is started - am going to check the switch, but can't think that this is the problem. This is doing my nut in.

I bet it is mate, when I had my problem I had to jump start my car from work, again at the nursery when I was picking up my son and just before I got home and I stalled the car and it would start again, really ######ed me off that day so much the boot has a imprint of my boots, that then really pee'd me off, my car got it's own back on me though by slicing 4 of my finger and my hand when I was trying to fix the size 9 dent.

Anyway sounds like a short somewhere, keep a meter in between the battery and positive leads and remove & replace a fuse one by one until that amp draw drops. Good Luck Mate.

Thanks for the support, and the advice about the handbrake light. Can't sort the problem about the shorting out battery yet, though. After taking out the courtesy light fuse, I thought this would sort it, but no go. Weirdly, the leakage drain is now about 0.1A, but it drops to almost 0 after 10 sec - disconnect the meter and try again - same result with the 10 sec delay. Thought it might be something to do with the fuel pump circuit (reminded me of the startup whine you get for about 10 sec if you don't immediately fire up the starter), but taking out the fuel pump fuse didn't help. Still none the wiser!

Have now discovered that the b####y thing won't turn over - tries but fails as if battery flat, but the headlights are bright - does this point to a knackered starter motor (solenoid or motor itself?), and could it also be shorting out here internally? I'm thinking of getting a replacement from the scrappy, but not if I'm wasting my cash. Anyone got any ideas?

Back