backbox gutting?

While browsing some old threads on msc I noticed a few people had "gutted" their micras backbox...presumably removing/drilling out the baffles...this sounds interesting but would this affect low end torque noticeably on a coilpack 1.0? If it didnt have a power loss id consider this

I don't recall any loss of power when I did it, but the rest of the system was stock. The noise was noisy.

Mark's 1.0L

DSCF3674.jpg

I take it the only option of resealing is welding it back up? Also I take it cutting it open is the only way of removal?.....from what I see your not removing the baffles just the dampening hair stuff

DSCF3676.jpg

It was pretty empty when it went back in. But for the work, just cutting the over axle hump off the box and tabbing something else is less work.

d70efd61-b2c5-4dd9-baba-14e2ede3eb2d.jpg

Does knocking out the backbox or slicing it and removing silencing affect the micras performance negatively? On say a 1.0? What about removing the backbox entirely and getting mad with a scaff bar? Hehe

Those twin pipes up there completely replaced the back box, with the rest of the system stock they were ok, but when they later ended up on a car with a complete de-cat the noise was a bit antisocial. There's no reason why similar couldn't be done with a single larger diameter bit of pipe.

Yeah was thinking about decatting but dunno if its worth the risk. Probably just get a new cat after the year and the complete sportex exhaust system. For now though I want some noise without much effort so I might just get hammer and long screwdriver.......lol

I think my baffles have just blown themselves out.. my backbox just sounds like it's blowing badly but it's not actually blowing, it's getting on my nerves already!:p

Back