australia...

CMF_squarepants

» CMF Member
just a quick question...

its it bad with scorpions or is that just a myth?

its ont of those things that has always been on my mind :S just intrested is all lol. my uncle goes like every year but he doesnt talk about it much...

CMF_Micra_King

» CMF Member
Yeah thoses drop bears kill so many poor drunks each year.
Dunno if other areas have many scorpions but no I dont think there a problem. I have seen a few small ones up north but thats it. On the other hand we have lots of spiders and snakes that will kill you no worry's and theres lots of them and if they dont kill you the sharks and crocs will lol.

CMF_ronin_kid

» CMF Member
Wilzy - there alot like the dreaded Wild Haggis, except that instead of chasing round the highlands they drop out of trees on top of you...

-RK

CMF_xero

» CMF Member
sort of but not really, we actually have them on our 5c peice.
they are about the size of a koala, actually similar family, but are more aggressive and can move very quickly.
like the koala's they do eat eucalytus leaves, but genreally eat other small mammals, birds etc. when they do eat the eucalytus leaves it makes them very drowsy and essentially "drop from trees" hence the term "drop bears".
they have very long claws to, and terrible eyesite. when they drop from trees they are shocked awake and will run and scramble for the nearest tree like object, and if your in the way or nearby they will climb you! and in do so will tear deep gauges in you and your clothes to shreds.
drop bears is just the colloquial name (i cant actually remember the genus and species) the aborigines had a name but i cant find that online anywhere.

you also have to watch out for blue bottles when at the beach. they genreally only come in with a northerly swell, but are quite dangerous. more people die from blue bottles than sharks.
sharks will bite and let go, a blue bottle when you are stung by one will temporarily paralyse its victim.
humans and most land mammals excrete an oil or film over their body and this is what the blue bottles are attracted to. when the blue bottles get "taste or whiff" of a mammal in the water they start moving toward it. they make a high pitched squeal, and the faster they get the louder it gets. so if you here a high pitched squeal at the beach, move quickly!
blue bottles also a lot of the time end up on the beach, and although look dead they arent! so dont touch them!
they still have the ability to sting and paralyse you for a period of time.

also check every toilet before you sit down for redback spiders. they love the dark, damp, cool environment and wait for any warm blooded animal to get too close.
there have been numerous stories of people being found on toilets in motels, caravan parks, homes, public toilets almost dead from being bitten by a redback spider.

CMF_Micra_King

» CMF Member
Theres also blue ringed octopuses and if they bite you then your dead unless someone gets you to hospital real fast. In summer time you get a lot of snakes on the move and a few times over the years I have had to kill dugites and even a king brown snake that some how got into the house. Up north my cat once brought in a dugite into my bedroom and it almost got me the bugger. Still I love snakes so they dont bother me to much. We have so many nasty things in this country that can kill you or make you real sick. We even have blood sucking flys called horse flys.

CMF_ronin_kid

» CMF Member
xero WROTE:

"sort of but not really, we actually have them on our 5c peice.

they are about the size of a koala, actually similar family, but are more aggressive and can move very quickly.

and there was me thinking it was an echidna!.

learn something new everyday.... ;)

Back