Audio Newbie!

thegman89

Ex. Club Member
I've just replaced the standard cassette head unit with a sony cd player - nothing fancy - just an £80 jobby.

Also upgraded the speakers - removed the standard ones from the door and have replaced them with Fusion Encounter's. However - the instructions are useless with them. There are two things with the speakers called xover's (I'm assuming cross over?). I haven't got them installed yet - just the basic speakers. Will these make any difference to the sound quality? Are they worth fitting? If so how and hwere do they go?

Here's a pic:

3.jpg

I'm also thinking of getting a sub and amp - are there any really basic guides to how to install them out there? Will I need to install the xover's if I get a sub and amp?

Cheers,
George :)

------------------------------

Also, which of these sub / amp kits would be better for me?

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/1233.html

or

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/4901.html

Cheers again!

thats what the crossover is for, the larger speaker (woofer) is the lowish end noise (bass stuff like that) and the tweeter is for the high range audio. it will work ok but will be alot better if the tweeters and crossovers are fitted.

Connecting the crossover is very simple it says what the connections are on the bottom were the connectors are.

as for mounting them the crossovers can go anywere but that depends on were u put the tweeters, there should be a couple of suggestions in the instructions, if the tweeter is in the door also then put the xover in the door aswell,

another thing is there are usually a couple of settings that the crossover can be on depending were u mount the tweeters.

Cheers :) May well go and do that in a bit then.

Other question is - if I get a sub and an amp - will I need to rewire the crossover, tweeters and woofer?

does ur new radio have any RCA outputs in the back (usually phono plugs) if it has then use them and leave everything as it is you wont need to mess with the front speakers

nope - it's justr an £80 Sony from halfrods - nothing special! I heard you can get a converter kit though?

Thanks for your help dude :)

i would av thought that it would have my mate got a cheap sony from halfords and that has 1, otherwise you could use the rear 2 channels of the cd player if there not already used.

nope - definately doesn't :(

So I need to stick the RCA conversion kit onto the rear speakers connection then as I don't have the speakers.

Cheers again dude :)

yes i recon that will be best with your current cd player, ive never used 1 of those kits how much are they, i might look at a new head unit if i were u tho, hten you can have rear speakers aswell

thanks man :)

I'm just going to put the tweeters in today - and then have a look into the sub / amp possibilities!

Cheers!

You should really amp them to get the most of them but the installation is basic. As you can see on the x-over... it needs an Input... (so that sound signal would be from your head unit or amp) and wire appropriately..

The tweeters you can mount in your door cards or in/on your A pillars.

If you do not have an amp then I recommend running both tweeter and woofer off the woofer OUTPUT... because without power you will hardly hear the tweeters.. don't worry with low power you cannot blow the tweeter...

So mount the x-over box in your doors, or boot, or on a piece of MDF and fix to the underside of the glove box...

Wire to the woofers... and from the back of the woofer... take a wire to the tweeter... rather than having two sets running from the x-over woofer output...

Plenty of guides on here and the net about sub/amp installation.. I'd get a 3/4 way amp if I were you and give those components some juice.

You should really amp them to get the most of them but the installation is basic. As you can see on the x-over... it needs an Input... (so that sound signal would be from your head unit or amp) and wire appropriately..

The tweeters you can mount in your door cards or in/on your A pillars.

If you do not have an amp then I recommend running both tweeter and woofer off the woofer OUTPUT... because without power you will hardly hear the tweeters.. don't worry with low power you cannot blow the tweeter...

So mount the x-over box in your doors, or boot, or on a piece of MDF and fix to the underside of the glove box...

Wire to the woofers... and from the back of the woofer... take a wire to the tweeter... rather than having two sets running from the x-over woofer output...

Plenty of guides on here and the net about sub/amp installation.. I'd get a 3/4 way amp if I were you and give those components some juice.

Stop talking c*ap and giving c*ap advice.

Wire it up as you should wire it up, the bigger speakers to the 'woofer' connection and the tweeters to the 'tweeter' connection.

The crossover is there for a reason, to prevent low frequency notes out of the tweeters playable/power handling range from going to the tweeter, so do NOT wire the tweeter to the 'woofer' output as that is completely and utterly pointless.

They'll also be heard just fine without an amp.

Of course you can blow the tweeter with low power, it's not about the power, it's about the clipped signal you'd be sending them, even worse without a crossover of some sort in the way.

Yes an amp is a better option, but if on a budget (cheap headunit, etc) then an amp isnt the first priority.

thegman89, first get the crossover wired in properly, 'then' think about what you want to do next.

Regards

I managed to get one tweeter and crossover wired in before work today - the other side is half finished - am driving around with no door card at the moment! It does a little bit better! Will finish it tommorow though. Thanks for the help so far - will be thinking and asking about possible amp / sub options soon :)

Cheers again!

dont buy the first sub and amp set up i had 2 of them jbl 12s and they lasted me bout 1 month before al the cones came apart

I would be looking at the 10" I think after speaking to some mates

yes i recon that will be best with your current cd player, ive never used 1 of those kits how much are they, i might look at a new head unit if i were u tho, hten you can have rear speakers aswell

Got a conversion kit today from halfrods £7 :)

oh cr*p

seems Ive been screwed over again by the guys at Car Audio Security.. think I'll make a trip down there today to have it wired properly and open a can of whoop a*s... I completely forgot about 'clipping.'

Thanks man... and yeh don't listen to me.. I shall refrain from advising without knowledge.

Back