K&N 57i Performance Kit

CMF_Bizardo

» CMF Member
hello.
i just found a K&N 57i Performance Kit - Micra 1.0i 16V 1993-
on a webshop here in norway :D

and i'm thinking of getting one. now i have the stock filterbox and air filter. will i feel og hear any difference ?
is it worth it, and is it easy to install ? i have no mechanical knowledge. BTW i have a Nissan Micra Tique 1996 1.0 with custom made exhaust muffler

CMF_w8upforme

» CMF Member
Had the same filter on my Micra 1.4, however putted my original airbox back on for the moment.
As if you place the filter on the throttlebody (you just lose hp due to egineheat instead of gaining any).

Had it completely standard on a rollingroad except for another exhaust (no other mods), and with the K&N filter I lost almost 10 NM of torque over the standard airbox, which is quite a lot for such a small engine.

CMF_Grincheuse

» CMF Member
Try getting a filter with a kit. I recently put one on my 1000 cc micra and it works just fine... better acceleration, smoother response from the engine and great sound when i go up the revs (above 4000 rpm) otherwise it sounds like normal :eek:)

the kit i got was with an aluminium tube going from the throttle body to behind my battery where the filter is fixed. Seems to work fine with no big loss of power. Guess that happens when going in traffic with little cool air gettig in the engine bay.

Has anyone tried other places for the filter for comparison?

CMF_w8upforme

» CMF Member
You can also place the filter on the other side of the engine bay, on the right hand side of the car (when in it), or leave on the original spot, and make a airbox around it with a hoodscoop so you will get the coolest air possible

cisco

» CMF Member
57i kits suck hot air. They are no good for performence.

Yes there will be less restriction from just having the filter and very short plumbing, so it might feel different. Most of what you notice is the noise. They are a lot noisier, but are no good for performance.

They have been around for a long while and aren't a serious design if you want performence. Its just a quick make a buck thing for K&N without thinking of what was best for the car. I wouldn't even bother installing one, and would rig up a decent cold air intake system instead.

A decent intake has both low restriction as well as cold air. Sucking hot air from inside the engine is BAD :)

Back