Any Help is much appreciated

Hi im new to the forum, my names Tom im 17 and im from Merseyside, recently passed my test and today have got myself a job which requires a car to get to and from work. I dont want to go down the route all young lads go down and go for a corsa or a saxo i thought id be a bit different and go japanese with a micra.

Anyhow i went to a local garage and saw a 1.0 micra which me and a mate had a look over the body work seems to be sound but there was some sort of oil leek underneath i have piks so i would be very greatful if anyone could tell me if its worth £895 and weather or not the leak is serious etc etc.

Any help is much appreciated as im going back tommorow to get the keys and inspect the engine ( i went today when garage was shut).

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s177/2oToMo7/DSC00065.jpg

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s177/2oToMo7/DSC00064.jpg

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s177/2oToMo7/DSC00063.jpg

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s177/2oToMo7/DSC00062.jpg

Images exceed forum limits of 800x600. Converted to links

I think thats normal tbh!! All cars have some oil around the bottom of the engine. Did the dealer actually say it was a leak? Otherwise it looks tidy.

Welcome btw :)

Dealer was shut i was just looking round the fore court, ill ask tommorow when i ask for the keys to have a good snout around.

Cheers :)

im toms mate that was there today.

it definately looks like a leak, put my finger there and there was oil on my finger (forgot to smell it though, gearbox oil is meant to smell strongly iirc). our p10 has started leaking there recently but nowhere near as bad as this was, was a fair bit of oil under there. my almera is bone dry there as was the other k11 this garage had, our p10 hasnt had any problems because of it but with this being worse i think tom would need it sorting out.

car was virtually perfect so the price seems very wierd, tiny bit of bubbling at the back of one sill (other side perfect), some bubbling on the front cross member which looked like it needed a patch which wont cost much anyway, other than that it was perfect from what we could see so will have to have a proper look when the garage is open. they had a silver one that wasnt as tidy with 67k on the clock for £1800 so maybe they know something about this one we couldnt see.

Look tomorrow if it is in the same place, if it is, see if there's a patch of oil underneath it and how big it is - leaking is pretty rare on K11s

This is only a 1.0 litre though don't forget. But yeah as craig said, look for puddles!! Otherwise the price seems reasonable. Just make sure you ask to hear the engine running. Make sure it starts first time and there are no rattles :)

just posting on behalf of tom here

are there any common faults to look at? also any ideas on the cheap price would be great, being a dealer they obviously know what its worth so why the cheap price? im thinking with it being a facelift sold on the change over year from what i can figure out they may have based the price on a pre facelift car? or is there no real difference in price?

i dont really know much about the micras so any help would be great, i own an almera Si and the parents have got a primera eGT, their 3rd primera, so i know the common faults with them etc and have been around nissans for years but never looked in to the micras that much so anything micra specific would be great. 97k is nothing for the almeras or primeras but is there any faults on the micras at this age? all inside looked as new (even the steering wheel and gearknob looked new) so it looks like its had a very very easy life.

be interesting to see what the engine is like tomorrow, seems to good to be true right now, im a picky person but the bodywork is perfect except a small dent on the door from a car park, the mark on the bumper and the little bit under the sill which is only bubbling, no signs of rust inside the arches or underneath etc, couldnt fault it apart from this leak.

sounds like the gearbox has been replaced in a hurry.
you need to check for signs of excessive wear on the seats and the gear knob.... as it may have been a hire car and had a hard life,

with the leak, my car has done 105000+ miles and doesnt leak that bad..... it sounds like its had the gearbox out and either they have recently, allbeit badly, replaced the clutch, or something worse...... but i would poke arround..

check for the obvious, timing chain rattles, yellow or white writing on any engine or suspention parts (denotes aftermarket replacement parts due to accident damage) straightness of pannel gaps, usual clocking damage to dashboard screws,
take it for a test drive, check for wheel wobble, give it a thrash and see if the temp goes up or any warning lights.... excessive tyre wear......knocking...etc etc..

if there is no sign of any fowl play......£895 is a great price...

looking at the photo of the underside of the car and the one of the front of the car which has oil on the tarmac under it, I would say it looks like a crankshaft oil seal or timing chain cover leak.

thats a bad leak as its clearly over the sump and all over the gearbox, by that picture i'd hazard a guess the rear main oil seal is leaking or the sump is leaking from the seal,

but get them to fix it or get them to lower to price if you decide you want it

Thread moved to the K11 section :)

That price is so cheap, you'd have to be cautious something's not right. But take her for a test run. You'l soon know how good it is :)

if your really mechanically minded you could buy it knock more money off and drop a nice low mileage cg13 (1.3) engine in, becuase the body work does look really nice!

however if not, and youd rather not have to work on a car like that, i really wouldnt bother and just leave it, like some1 said befoore tonnes more micras/etc out there! i had to see loads before ifound one i was happy with lol and i still had to make the dealer repair bits of it then!

reason i say this is becuase doesnt changing crank oil seals require stripping engine right down anyway?

the price doesn't seem that low to me o_O, not excessively low anyway. it all depends on the mileage. i'll be selling my 98' 1.0 Si for about £1000 with 84 on the clock. if people think this is cheap, then hopefully someone will take my hand off :)

£895 wouldn't be bad for that car, if it didnt have so much oil underneath, but I'd go for Swiper's instead ;) Nice car, and an Si too!

Btw are you sprint from the AOC? ;) Boo! :p

Btw are you sprint from the AOC? ;) Boo! :p

yer thats me, being around me must have got him hooked on japanese cars :grinning:

tom hasnt been able to get online tonight but hes bought the ginger monster :grinning: , had the bonnet up and theres oil leading from the filler cap down to the distributor end of the rocker cover and down the back of the block so fingers crossed thats explianed the leak, mechanic was there when we went back today and he said he would double check it all when he does the oil change but he cant see it being anything else. looks like the filler cap has been left off.

car looks to be very genuine, no sign of any paintwork at all, every panel is straight and its pretty much perfect all over so couldnt fault it (one or two car park marks, otherwise its pretty much perfect), all looks to be very genuine so hopefully it will be as good as it seems for him. also had a look in the glove box and its had a nissan service history up to 50k, one owner from new so i bet they have just gone to a local garage after that as your not going to look after it for so long and then neglect it.

wont be staying standard for long but im not sure what hes got planned yet, looking forward to having something to work on with someone else paying for everything though :grinning: . no doubt there will be pictures of it with my almera in the next few days.

:laugh: Picking it up on tuesday after work, cant ####in wait :upside: my bank accounts looking a bit empty though lmao. Ill be leaving it standard for a while until i get the funds up a bit then my 1st mods will be a bad boy bonnet 6" exhaust and some neons :grinning: ONLY MESSING. Ill be getting it a cd player and then a nice set of 15"s and lowering it aswell, decent exhaust system and that will do i think. All depends on funds really, just cant wait to get out and about with it, me and Sprint are going to give at a damn good clean when ive piked it up so ill get some pictures of it up asap.

97K on clock so just abouve average for its age, had a mechanic look at it and he rekons its either the oil cap being left off or a rocker cover gasket which isnt anything to worry about. Picking it up after work on tuesday cant wait :grinning:

Back