Another Smelling fuel inside thread...

Seb_

Give me some frogs.
Site Supporter
Hi
this evening I filled up 41L in the tank at the fuel station, the maximum I could.
Then, back into the car, closed windows, without starting the car, I noticed that it smelled fuel VERY strong. This problem already happened once when I filled the tank up to the max; like I've done this time.
Then my car started without problem, I just noticed that fuel gauge on the dasboard has decreased a lot compared to the trip I've been doing tonight once back at home. What do you think? Faulty fuel hose under the backseat? Doest there is any joint under the backseat that could be damaged and need replacement? Do you have advice about which things to check? Any parts from the fuel pump known to be dodgy?

PS: There is no fuel leaking under the car on under the bonnet where the fuel filter is.
Thank you !

I had this problem a while back, smelled really strongly of fuel inside the car, but couldn't find the source. Lifted the rear seats up, and one of the fuel pipes was ruptured (still not sure how!). So I just had a metal plate bolted over the top of the fuel pump, with various bumps and stuff to make sure it cleared the pipes

Thank you mates, Dan do you have a picture of your repaired fuel pump ?

Thank you mates, Dan do you have a picture of your repaired fuel pump ?

I need to try find another lens for my camera, managed to drop mine when I was taking pictures of the interior :(. But as soon as I get one, I'll get a pic for you. Basically I just got a really flexible sheet of steel, cut it to size so it fitted over the top of the fuel pump, then drilled the holes in the same place as the ones that hold the pump in, then used some longer bolts to hold it on over the top of it. Made a few dents to clear the pipes, bit of a bodge job to be honest, but it works (Y)

Looks smart ! Thank you ;) I will inspect under the rear seats this weekend to see any leak. A good thing would be going to the fuel station, rear seats removed, and add fuel to the max while someone is in the back of the car checking the fuel pump area.
Hardest part will be to remove the 2 clips on the rear seats 2 corners without destroying everything. I'll keep this thread updated with pictures.
Seb

Update: I managed to lift the backseat and see under, it's very dirty (do you like lolipops?) ,but no evidence of fuel leak so far:
2011-07-07_17-58-05_349.jpg

I will unscrew the plate and see in more details this weekend.

Today I removed the plate and this is how does it look:
the fuel pipes both seem ok:
2011-07-10_17-51-51_546.jpg

I think the guilty is the black ring around the fuel pump:
Because it only smells when fill up the tank to the max.
2011-07-10_17-50-53_672.jpg

To be sure I will go to the fuel station without the aluminium plate and see if there is some leak from it

that looks fine to me seb, it could be one of the vent pipes ontop of the tank that you cant access without dropping it down :eek: or it could be a fault on the filler neck

Well, sadly, once again, you were right Frank:

Fuel neck a little corroded:
2011-07-10_19-00-00_332.jpg

But more embarrassing it seems there is something leaking on the plastic shield of the fuel pipes:
2011-07-10_19-14-26_234.jpg

2011-07-10_19-14-06_490.jpg

Back