another rev limiter option ?

frank

Club Member
after reading in the fsm that "the engine speed is detected by measuring the time the slit needs to pass the optical sensor"
so we tried shortening the slits with tape :) and sure enough the tacho was reading about 2 x normal

P3220740.JPG

after reading in the fsm that "the engine speed is detected by measuring the time the slit needs to pass the optical sensor"
so we tried shortening the slits with tape :) and sure enough the tacho was reading about 2 x normal

The shorter the slots the lower the limit Frank?

I need to de limiter mine to re limit it with the bee r. How hard is it?
its just tape on the optical disc motty, 1/2 hr job ?
some of us have taped over the 5th hole to delete the limiter, but with varying success (1 member lost 2NM on back to back dyno runs recently)
and matt (mph) said to join the 5th hole with the nearest slot iirc (to raise it a bit) but that 5th hole is the tdc cyl#1 reference pointer !
elongating the slots will probably raise the limiter, but will probably effect the load x rpm tables (fuel and spark maps) maybe to your favour ? maybe not ? maybe shortening the slots will give gains as a result ?

I thought about this awhile ago but never tested it...i had assumed its just a case of moving the square around the disc a little bit?.

I thought about this awhile ago but never tested it...i had assumed its just a case of moving the square around the disc a little bit?.
i dunno what that would do kris, the fsm says
"4 long slits are provided on the rotor plate (1 for each cylinder) to detect crank angle, this is done by detecting the starting point of each slit when passing the optical sensor"
so i guess moving that tdc one, and/or moving the starting point or finishing point of the slots will have some effect on the spark or fueling or rpm.
probably of interest to the oval and grass racers, with their engine modification limits :)

its my belief that the distance between 4th and 5th holes determines the rev limit. the optical sensor will only work to a certain frequency. i think that when you get to 6800 (or whatever the rev limit is) the optical sensor can't see the metal between these holes, making it seem like the 4th hole was significantly longer. this would retard the firing of that cylinder, thus creating the rev limiter. i think.....

you could potentially raise the rev limiter by extending the 5th hole away from the 4th (towards the 1st).
you could possibly work it out, but there's a lot of unknowns.

nah, i think the rev limit is programmed into the ecu tom, Ed asked me what limit i wanted when he fitted and mapped my nistune,
i just took 3 of the pieces of tape off and left the cyl# 1 slit narrowed, and the tacho still reads over 2 x normal (thats a big difference for a 5mm slit adjustment eh)

fair enough. hmm, interesting. how does the engine rev? is it normal, or does it have a minor misfire?
it revs ok, but does have a minor missfire tom (which the tacho responds to, so a signal break eh) i,ll try a slightly longer than stock slot next.
you can see on that pic ^ that its a disc that i cut the cyl 1 slot right up to the 5th hole, to test my original 1.0 engine to the limit.
and i never could understand why it was valvebouncing before it hit the limiter :confused: ( it sounded dreadful, and it damaged/marked the pistons too ) the tacho was no doubt under-reading, and i was revving @ 8 or 9 k probably !.
the problem with covering the 5th hole, is that the ecu loses the cyl#1 TDC reference point, and the injectors will revert to batch firing, the fsm does say that they only sequential fire once the engine has started, and if the sensors are reading ok.
the plugs are always fired sequentially from the rotor arm, but the injectors rely on that 5th hole eh

i dunno what that would do kris, the fsm says
"4 long slits are provided on the rotor plate (1 for each cylinder) to detect crank angle, this is done by detecting the starting point of each slit when passing the optical sensor"
so i guess moving that tdc one, and/or moving the starting point or finishing point of the slots will have some effect on the spark or fueling or rpm.
probably of interest to the oval and grass racers, with their engine modification limits :)

Yeah i would suspect so.

It was just on the assumption, that that's the only difference to an otherwise even layout...if you put the disc in backwards (flipped over) the car runs awful, which was where the idea came from. Unfortunately i didn't want to test my idea on my car, in case i broke anything lol.

V. interesting Frank. i presume the missfire is on the cyl you left the tape on right?

have you created a rev limit by taping over the gap left between holes 1 and 5?

this is massively interesting, and i want to know conclusive results. if only i had a test engine.....

Back