Another quickie: reverse light for MoT

Hi guys,

I've noticed that I don't have functioning reverse lights on my Colette. I think these are required for MoT so I don't want to have any hassle when it goes in soon.

Now, Ive checked the bulbs, both fine, no problems. I've checked the dashboard switch, good connection, fine. I think I've located the switch on the gearbox (pink/orange/black cable with long metal attachment to lower side of the box?) and can't see a problem there or at any other connections in between.

So, you guessed it, does anyone have ANY idea what the prob could be!?!

indicator stalk? relay somewhere? it's really annoying me!

H

You don't need a reverse light for MOT (in the UK anyway)

Use a multimeter to see if you get current at the switches and bulb.

Craig

yeh craig is correct....the reason for having a reverse light is so you can see where you are reversing into, at night anyway! not required in uk

If you have one it needs to work though. As with anything on an MOT if it's there it must work.

No you don't. As stated above, the reverse light is not required for the MOT. Mine hasn't worked for about three years.

But MOT says if it's their it must work, although it will just be an advisory if they check it at all, some really strict places will check it just to charge you for a retest.

I have put loads of cars through an mot without a reverse light, I never ever had so much as an advisory, I allways thought it wasn't tested??? Any way the problem you have is the reverse switch that bolts to the gearbox, common problem but Nissan only part that costs ££££ so most people never bother to sort it.

Several people wouldn't write here saying it's not tested if it isn't true! If you read through what's covered / tested in the MOT, you'l see the reverse light isn't listed.

ollyc98 is right in saying that if its fitted it needs to work but its not illegil not to have one so the majority of MOT stations dont test them or just overlook it.

If it fails on reverse light not working (to which i highly doubt) just say it doesn't have installed, they cant take anything apart to check and will take your word for it.

If it fails on the reverse light, report them! the reverse light shouldn't be tested!

aye its defiantly not on the test my old k10 passed 5 times without one, and at one point i didn't even have one fitted (had march rear lights)

its true that if lights are fitted they must work but i always left the covers on my fog lights which were never wired up never had a problem there either

Oooh, nice thinking because apparently sometimes it does work and sometimes it doesn't.

How do I change the gear oil? It is a bit like doing the oil change? The manual doesn't list a capacity or a method for doing this.... What grade do you use?

Ta guys (again)

H

Yeah but filling it back up is a right pain, you have to fill it through the speedo cable hole.

I believe its about 2.5/2.7 litres - do a search though as it's been covered before. Also, i was told once to change it every 18 months to 2 years but it might be more frequent than this depending on how many miles you do. The haynes will say (don't have one to hand).

I last changed mine back in January 2006, and still using whatever's in there. The gearbox hasn't got any louder and runs fine. I'l be changing it next month along with the engine oil & water.

Back