Amp wiring kit

daveeeeee

Ex. Club Member
hey can anyone recomend a decent wiring kit. looking to wire up all the ice soon and want some decent cable. i can only seem to find cheap stuff

cheers

cheers, oh and another question.

i will have a single sub set up running at the moment off a very good 4 channel amp, it will soon have its own mono amp. now the sub is 2ohms i would normaly have got a 4ohm i had little choice. now i was wondering what affect this will have on the system, will the fact that the sub is 2ohms reduce the sound quality?

You are mistaken ;)

Those wiring kits are quite expensive for 8awg, and their ratings are stupid, i.e. 5m of 8awg cable for 2000W is ridiculous!

A 4awg kit is best for future upgradability, such as this one:

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/celsus-cnks44rd-4awg-p-6012.html

But if you're only going for low power (~300wrms or below) then 8awg should be fine:

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/audio-8awg-p-6011.html

What are the make and model of the amp and subwoofer? I cant recommend a wiring kit without knowing the power output, specs, etc as the power terminal sizes will be different.

Usually if you have a 4ohm subwoofer then you can bridge 2 channels of a multichannel amp into 1 in order to give the sub more power. Unfortunately most amps are not 2ohms stable when bridged!

and no, sound quality won't be effected.

Rockford fosgate p 4004

50 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms (100 watts RMS x 4 at 2 ohms)
200 watts RMS x 2 bridged output at 4 ohms (4-ohm stable in bridged mode)

ahhh yes your rite cant bridge at 2ohms, so i will need to run it off a mono amp then?

You can run it off of one channel of the amp but you'd only be giving it 100wrms!

But other yes, a mono amp would be fine.

ok i have got miselfe a mono, rockford fosgate p 600-1. 600w rms.
now i want to be sure about the set up, have never done two amps, is it just as simple as this?

amp.jpg

or do the amps need to be connected to eachother in anyway. will i need a distribution block?

cheers

You've missed the power wiring off of that diagram?

Yes you need a distribution block, one (ideally fused) for the +12v battery side, which splits a 4awg cable down into 2 feeds, 1 for each amp, then one earth distribution block which will take the 2 feeds from the amp and channel that back into one 4awg earth cable (less than 1m in length).

One question, why do you appear to have 2 tweeters on each side?! You definately don't need 2!

I suggest you bridge the 4-channel amp down to 2 channels and run the front components off of these :)

ok. i was planning on bridging the 4 channel might aswell anyway. the component speakers are rockford fosgate.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rockford-Fosgate-Punch-5-Component-Speaker-Set_W0QQitemZ320155252408QQihZ011QQcategoryZ14941QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p1638.m118

the dual tweeters are prob just a gimik but these are very good speakers sound brilliant they dont scream as you'd expect with the extra tweeter pretty pointless really.

amp.jpg

how's that look?

To me that looks exactly the same as the last picture?!

Oh and sorry, i didnt know that the RF component set actually came with 2 sets of tweeters, thats a new one on me.

You can get highend kits with 3-way units, a midbass unit, then a smaller mid and then a tweeter, but i've never seen a set with a mid and 2 tweeters before!

Good luck with the install :)

Back