Alternator Bearings replacement

Micra 110

Site Supporter
I have a Rattling/Clattering sound coming from the Alternator, it's the Bearings so i'm just wondering whether anyone has replaced the Bearings on their K10 Alternator?

Easy to fix?
Difficult to fix?
Easier to get another?
Cost approx?

cheers

paul :)

No one ever bothers to strip down and replace bearings since everything else has to be changed inside to make it worthwhile...........which end up costing more than a new alternator.

Take the belt off and try to wobble the wheel, feel for excesive movement.

The person I bought my K10 off said he had the one on my car refurbed.

Don't think it was done on an exchange basis, he said it cost him about £30.

Should imagine it would be on an exchange basis, but may have not been since there normally recondition over here. Anyway unless you change, test or repair all of the internals its about economically worth while as buying your drive shafts from the scrappies.

So no-one has ever fixed one then, how strange.... o_O

No one ever bothers to strip down and replace bearings since everything else has to be changed inside to make it worthwhile...........which end up costing more than a new alternator.

Answers my question but that's what happens when we live in a throw-away society. :(

I spoke to someone last night asking why the Bearing 'went' in the first place and he said it was because the Bearing manufacturers don't put enough Grease in the Races and/or they're Chinese.....Brushes are approx 30p each, Bearings are approx £10 for both :)

There are 2 different Models of Alternator on the K10, what are they?

One is a Mitsubishi but what's the other?

I'm going to try and fix this Alternator to see how much it will actually cost.....my guess is around £20 all in..... :)

Back