alterantor sounds like angry cat

alternator sounds like angry cat

hi guys,

i am having problems with an alternator.. in fact, with two of them.

original, 24 years old alternator in my k10 stopped working few days ago. well, not completely, it produced some juice, but not enough. while idling, i read 13.00 volts on battery and the charging lamp started to glow a bit.. and then a bit more.. and more. just occured to me - week or two before the failure i welded the new exhaust muffler on.. with electric 3x400v welder.. forgot to disconnect the battery - could this have destroyed the regulator inside the alternator? i have good electronic skills, no problem to replace diodes or the regulation transistor - question is, is it worth it?

i replaced the alternator with model from 1.2 k10 with ecu.. only had to change connector and the belt "pulley" or what the is rotating thing called.. works fine, battery voltage is 14.50 V, it produces enough juice.. the problem is, it really sounds like an angry cat.. i start the car and it starts to meow :D when i turned the small wheel on it by hand, i heard a subtle click every turn.. something inside must be hitting another part every turn.. the noise is quite bad, i am seriously thinking about repairing the first alt.. dont want to drive an angry cat :)

any suggestions? thanks

edit: could any of the mods correct the typo in the thread title? thanks :)

Back