alloys repair/colour change

mean micra

www.mightymicra.co.uk
right dont know how to go about it...

my alloys are kerbed and need repairing...
i heard you can also change the colour...

i want it to look 100% tho, as if brand new...

am thinkin White as i have red k11...

any sugestions, does any one know any NWest places that do this...

ta lads...

look in the back of your autotrader, you need to look for an alloy wheel refurb place, theres normally a couple in the back. If not try the yellow pages. They normally charge anywhere from £20-£30 / wheel just for a refurb, not sure bout colour although they can do them - G_man had his done, speak to him - oh and is your car dark red? Light red would look sweet with the white wheels - i would have done it had i red car if it werent for the fact that red + white = mackems

good idea...

yeh bright red... white looks cool i know... got alloys as part of birthday prez so couldnt just diss my mates... i do like them just want em white now...
hope it wont cost too much...
ta

am gonna do 50/50 red clear lights also...

It isnt very easy to get a good long lasting finish as its rare that people can be bothered, or have the right paints. I've never yet seen anyone manage it who is not a pro!

I disagree ED. I bake the paint on with a alternating spray/heat-gun technique.. ive never had any problems.. plastic primers and paints and lots of laquer.. no worries

Mmm... kristian might have to give you a call... dindt you have white alloys on and spray them black???

im the type of guy who likes to do stuff myself...
i got a heat gun but thats about it...

what do i need? just white spray and laquer...

kristian said:
I disagree ED. I bake the paint on with a alternating spray/heat-gun technique.. ive never had any problems.. plastic primers and paints and lots of laquer.. no worries

Not everyone has access to heat guns, spray guns and a workshop to do it in!! A general DIY spray would usually include 3 cans of paint from halfrauds and praying for good weather! (no workshop)

If you've got the tools, im sure a good finish can be achieved but for the majority, it probably isnt - especially when you go to use alloy wheel cleaner which ends up taking the paint off the metal!

Arnold

For someone to be a pro that must have done it enough times and taken their time doing it,, so they had to be were we are sometime.
I might be giving it a go so wheels will be off and I'll spend a week on each if needed, cleaning and painting etc, then I will "bake" them.

What do pro's do thats different to what we can do?

goldstar0011 said:
What do pro's do thats different to what we can do?

Id personally say it would probably come down to having the right tools. I've seen sprayed car parts using halfrauds paints, and i've seen the spray work done by Ed - there is an obvious difference to the finish that a spraycan will never be able to achieve!

If you've got a spray gun, compressor etc then im sure you'l have no problems achieving a good finish.

Infact, not all professionals are that good either. My mate has some silver alloys with gold screws / nuts / whatever they are around the outside which went in for repair - and they all came back totally silver! The guy said it was too tricky to keep them gold and didnt make any attempt to try. the silver used was also a dull one with a poor finish so they no longer shine!! He is not impressed. If you're taking them to a pro - then maybe go to one on the referral of someone who's had work done, instead of the cheapest you come across.

Arnold

if you go to a real pro they will do them right and any colour you want. sometimes they can fook up as this is a natural thing but a real pro would do the mistakes again for free.

Kristian doesnt have spray guns/workshop, he just did it on his drive with spray cans/sand paper/heat gun and a whole lot of patience, his alloys came out realy well, he did black with a silver lip, looks sweet, think people just need patience and the right technique

Back