Alarm fitting

J

Jim

I wanted to start a new topic about the actual fitting of my alarm. It's only a v.basic alarm with 3 wires to fit it. but as i'm new it, i'll need some help. i've already been talking to kev_mono72 about it, but there's just a few things i need to make sure of and ask.

so, the wires:-

1. system power - red wire

2. earth - black wire

3. antenna

for those that don't know, i've got a 1989 K10.

according to the instructions that came with the alarm, I need to "locate the cable on the vehicle that feeds power to the fuse that protects the interior courtesy light".

so then we come to this diagram out of the haynes for the interior light etc:-

interiorlightdiagram.jpg

is this right? anyone any idea what colour the wire would be in an '89 k10? i think i've found it and its the orange/brown one. is this right?

thanks. no doubt i'll have further questions soon!

Jim

The instructions also say connect it as close to the fuse as possible, i just assumed it was the fused side as the alarm wud need to be fused too so its gona use the same one as the courtesy light. It says that the fuse has to be capable of holding a 10A current, this is what i based dat diagram on above!

ok, so once i've confirmed which wire it is, i can join the alarm system wire to the fuse wire using a wiring harness yeah?

NO.................

pretty positive that you would want constant power. witht hat way. (which is why the old fords could be broken into) if you wire it to the courtousy light AFTER the fuse boards then if that fuse goes then so does your alarm.

ala shorting out the light and cousing the fuse to blow. ionturn knocking alarm off.

thus whyyou use to be able to break the headlights on the fords and join the wires to pop the locks :D

u never heard thqat from me though. someone else can verify this but if im thinkin what im thinking then its right ..

^^^^^^^^^^^ but then i re read that and confused my self :D

hmm, well i did what Ed suggestsed to me yesterday about instead of connecting it to the fuse wire of the interior light, to connect it straight to the battery. all seemed to be working fine until i turned the engine on, and the alarm went off constantly. i'm guessing this is because the red wire attached to the battery is the alarm voltage sensor, and obviously with the engine on, the alarm is sensing voltage!

so i guess that means it will have to be connected up how the instructions say :D

Wud it not turn off wit da fob?? Dats strange...
And did it only go off when u turned the key? Coz if so sum TWOCer will b able to steal all ur ice, and leave ur car there witout u knowin!
Connect it to the place i told ya, just put a slightly larger fuse in and ull b grand!

when the engine was on and the alarm was going off it would turn off with the fob. but only for 3 seconds (the time it takes to reset) before going off again. it's clearly because when the engine is on, a constant voltage is being sent and therefore detected by the sensor. so yeah, it'll have to be wired up specifically to the interior light.

why would i need a bigger fuse then the 3A already on the voltage sensor wire?

Back