Air fuel ratio gauge??

lee k0011

I hate rust :(
I am thinking about getting a afr gauge for my k11.Looked on ebay and they vary in price massively and some come with there own sensors and some look like they wire in to the lambda sensor.
So i am just after some advice on which one works best if any one on here uses one???

Ive just bought and recently fitted a wideband (the one that comes with a lambda) has really opened my eyes on how badly my car runs lol not sure how accurate the gauges are that wire into the stock lambda so i played it safe and went wideband. £150 for an AEM one

Ive just bought and recently fitted a wideband (the one that comes with a lambda) has really opened my eyes on how badly my car runs lol not sure how accurate the gauges are that wire into the stock lambda so i played it safe and went wideband. £150 for an AEM one
Most of the kits i have seen that come with lambda sensors are around that price but there are some on there from china for like £20 so not sure if they will work or not,Just seems to be a massive price difference for two things that are ment to do the same thing.

i think you get what you pay for m8. a 300£ one compared to 20£ chinese crap theres going to be a big difference. have you got a link to the cheap one's, im curious to see how they work off the existing sensor's

i think you get what you pay for m8. a 300£ one compared to 20£ chinese crap theres going to be a big difference. have you got a link to the cheap one's, im curious to see how they work off the existing sensor's
Found this one item no 160788502868 on ebay £15.99 :)
If it gives false readings though i suppose it will do more harm than good.

looks like a waste of money to me m8, its only got three wire's which means it'll prob go from rich,lean,rich,lean,rich,lean if it taps into the existing sensor. the wideband sensors have 5 wires iirc

you know what they say buy cheap, buy twice

I need to research these a lot more me thinks. Will be handy lil thing to have on the dash when i start do'n some engine mods..

The one i got was simple to fit, removed the section of exhaust i was fitting it too, drilled a hole to accept the bung given. Weld into place, refit exhaust, route wiring from lambda to gauge then another set of wires come out the gauge ( 1x12v, 1xearth, then 2 optional wires analog/serial outputs) which im not using

Those cheap gauges that run off the 3-wire lambdas are essentially a voltmeter, 0.1-0.2v=lean, 0.8-0.9v=rich, 0.3-0.7v=stoich, or thereabout. So they are pretty usefull, you just don't know exactly what the ratio is, but you can expirement to sort of work it out.
I've used mine to get it to run approximately 15:1 at cruise and 13:1 at wot.

^ what matt said, the narrowband gauges show what the ecu is doing to control the mixture.
they are veary accurate but limited in scope (ie, they show a narrow band of air/fuel ratio).
and the bouncing up and down during cruise shows how the ecu increases and decreases the injector duration every second to keep it at stoich (ie, closed looping).
i find mine very useful :cool:

What you wanna do is to get wideband and unplug the originall lambda to use the apexi you got from me.
The stock ecu goes into closed loop at wide open throttle. With the lambda disconnected it won't and youll be able to controll the fuel ratio.

^ what matt said, the narrowband gauges show what the ecu is doing to control the mixture.
they are veary accurate but limited in scope (ie, they show a narrow band of air/fuel ratio).
and the bouncing up and down during cruise shows how the ecu increases and decreases the injector duration every second to keep it at stoich (ie, closed looping).
i find mine very useful :cool:
Which afr do you use then frank??

Thanx for all the info guys.More use to carbs than injection so got a lot to learn still.Looks like having the apexi and a AFR will help me get the best out of any engine mods i make.

Which afr do you use then frank??
a 10 quid 2nd hand narrowband one lee, you get a feel for how it responds, and you can adjust the fuel pressure to verify how far lean or rich you are running to some degree.
here,s mine closed looping @ cruise, then off the scale rich when i boot it, then off the scale lean when i lift

i would advise keeping your stock lambda connected to the ecu personally, and using the safc to trim the fueling

Frank, is see you mention a safc.

I assume you mean the Apexi super air fuel controller? Been looking at these as a budget way of adjusting the fueling.

Frank, is see you mention a safc.

I assume you mean the Apexi super air fuel controller? Been looking at these as a budget way of adjusting the fueling.
aye rob, thats what solarice uses iirc (or emanage maybe ?) i have a vafc that i might try out one day :)

Ive been looking at them for a few weeks the idea seems quite simple. You can tweet the AFM signal at certain revs to allow for more or less fuel.

Ive been looking at them for a few weeks the idea seems quite simple. You can tweet the AFM signal at certain revs to allow for more or less fuel.
aye, you can fit bigger injectors and drop the durations @ low throttle, and progressively raise the durations higher up eh
someone posted a map on micra.au iirc

aye, you can fit bigger injectors and drop the durations @ low throttle, and progressively raise the durations higher up eh
someone posted a map on micra.au iirc
Yes mate, planning on doing exactly that, just need to purchase one. Safer than the few options i did have in my mind.

I have got a frankspeed manifold to fit now.And there are a couple of 1.3's in my local scrap yard so i am go to get some cams out of one of them.
So Franksped+cold air feed+1.3 cams+Adjustable FPR+apexi=a nice extra bit of power :) Well thats the plan any way.
Would it also be worth getting a set of 1.3 injectors as well ?

I have got a frankspeed manifold to fit now.And there are a couple of 1.3's in my local scrap yard so i am go to get some cams out of one of them.
So Franksped+cold air feed+1.3 cams+Adjustable FPR+apexi=a nice extra bit of power :) Well thats the plan any way.
Would it also be worth getting a set of 1.3 injectors as well ?
the 1.0/1.3 have the same grey injectors lee, and the black GA16 ones are bigger if you need them.
and the downpipe is the next restrictive part to consentrate on

the 1.0/1.3 have the same grey injectors lee, and the black GA16 ones are bigger if you need them.
and the downpipe is the next restrictive part to consentrate on
Janspeed make a down pipe.But i am also thinking of getting a welder so might have a crack at making one my self..

Back