Advice for New Front Panel Instalation

baguete

Site Supporter
Hi guys, did anyone removed and installed a new front panel? Any advice on how to do it?

Number 3 on the pic:

14031279716694.png

most people use a spotweld drill baguete ( a flat drill that drills through the 1 panel only), then drill holes in the new panel and plugweld the holes with a mig :grinning:

Ive just done the lower x-member in my k11, was fairly easy and straight forward, use a spot weld drill to drill the welds out, drill holes in new panel and plug the holes, (exactly as frank says)

there are 2 types of spot drill, the one frank describes or the one i used which is like a little hole saw.

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cht467-38in-spot-weld-drill

i cannot coment on the one the other type as ive not used one, but i did a bit of research and the general word was this one was better for my application

this is the other type
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SYKES-PICKAVA..._Body_Shop_Supplies_Paint&hash=item255a76c38a

Thanks guys, will get a spot weld drill and see what i can do. Can i install the new panel with rivets? Will it be very weak?

Thanks guys, will get a spot weld drill and see what i can do. Can i install the new panel with rivets? Will it be very weak?

the lower crossmember is structual eh baguete (and needs welding) but is,nt yours undamaged ? and cant you cut the nearside headlamp panel and flitch panel complete from another car and splice the whole upper corner on ?

the lower crossmember is structual eh baguete (and needs welding) but is,nt yours undamaged ? and cant you cut the nearside headlamp panel and flitch panel complete from another car and splice the whole upper corner on ?

The problem its the price, Nissan sells the left headlight panel at 50€, and the whole front panel on a parts store is 40€, and they dont sell only the headlamp panel, and its much cheaper than buying it on Nissan. But i will try to see at the local scrapyards if the can cut and sell only the headlight panel. But the headlight panel can be riveted?

no rivets are a no go in my opinion, as frank says the lower member is structural, whats wrong with yours, why do you need to change it all? got any pictures?

ah just seen pics in your blog, id do as frank says, try and get the whole corner, including some of the inner wing if needed, and then weld/rivit it on, you should be ok riviting if its not structural, or if you cant get the whole corner, get the complete front panel from the parts store, and cut off the part you need, i.e. the headlight surround

ah just seen pics in your blog, id do as frank says, try and get the whole corner, including some of the inner wing if needed, and then weld/rivit it on, you should be ok riviting if its not structural, or if you cant get the whole corner, get the complete front panel from the parts store, and cut off the part you need, i.e. the headlight surround

Ok, i will order the complete panel from the parts store and only use the corner i need.

I talked in riviting because i dont have a mig welder. :blush:

Thanks (Y)

i would have thought riviting a non-structural piece in wont be a problem, not sure what the MOT ruels are in lisbon tho, but in the uk, aslong as its 30cm away from any steering or suspension parts and its non structural it SHOULD be ok

i would have thought riviting a non-structural piece in wont be a problem, not sure what the MOT ruels are in lisbon tho, but in the uk, aslong as its 30cm away from any steering or suspension parts and its non structural it SHOULD be ok

Dont know how the law is in here, never saw those MOT laws at detail, but i dont think it would be problem. And i can paint the area in black so it looks like stock... lol But meanwhile i will try to get a mig welder from a friend. Thanks

Already got the complete front panel, got it for 34€, thats cheap. :p
Just need the spot drill, they are quite expensive for a drill... lol

i just used a normal metal drill bit to just start to get through the top layer (the metal starts to change colour) and a hammer and chisel to finish it off...then a go over with a grinder to clean it up.

The headlight surround doesnt have many spot welds as standard so even a garage would probs only take a few mins to do.

i just used a normal metal drill bit to just start to get through the top layer (the metal starts to change colour) and a hammer and chisel to finish it off...then a go over with a grinder to clean it up.

The headlight surround doesnt have many spot welds as standard so even a garage would probs only take a few mins to do.

I will do the work myself, a got plenty of time because i have the other Micra. :p

Just saw the complete panel, the headlight panel has only 9 spot welds, it will be easy to take it appart.

Here is the complete panel:

IMG_0002-13.jpg

Thanks.

only other thing is to try and mark where the old one is before you cut it off to make your life easier...only mentioned the garage option are you said you didnt have a mig :) but yeah dead easy to do tbh.

only other thing is to try and mark where the old one is before you cut it off to make your life easier...only mentioned the garage option are you said you didnt have a mig :) but yeah dead easy to do tbh.

Done it already, not very hard. And i riveted it, feels very secure...

Back