Adding extra driving lamps

hey guys, bought a pair of halogen driving lights, gonna fit them on similar to where the standard micra ones are, but how do i go about connecting them? all advice and tips appreciated

micra_k11 said:
hey guys, bought a pair of halogen driving lights, gonna fit them on similar to where the standard micra ones are, but how do i go about connecting them? all advice and tips appreciated

you will need a relay if you don't already have a stock wiring loom.

if you don't use a relay then you will have a fire like i did !

A relay uses an electromagnet to pull a switch closed so you can keep two circuits seperate. this is because the foglights draw a high current they can't be switched by a small switch in the console or it would get too hot because of the high current flowing thru it.

the relay switches the higher current circuit to the fog lights and you switch the relay on with a switch on the dash. i have sketched a quick diagram which should hopefully make it alitte clearer. the diagram shows the relay getting its 12v+ supply from the headlights so that the fog lights can only be on if the headlights are on.

if there is anything you don't understant then let me know and i'll try and explain it as best i can ;)

Attachments

• relay.JPG
    relay.JPG
    17.3 KB · Views: 176
if not you can get one with a bracket from maplins for 1.79 that can take 30a and 12v this is what i have just done with my k10 because the wiring was terrible.

ollie240585 said:
And also by the looks of things, quite nifty with Microsoft Paint :D

Na it was in £500 photoshop CS2 !! ok it was paint :)

don't use an existing relay, you will need an aftermarket one because you are installing aftermarket fogs.

Ring do a wiring kit for aftermarket lights, only a tenner or so. Get one of those! Should come with everything you need + more

Back