about to buy a K12 for my girlfriend - ADVICE ??

funky2nite

Ex. Club Member
Anything in particular to look for before buying a K12?

my girlfriend's after the micra once again and locally it's cheaper than the new vitz. so that's an incentive to go after the K12.

had read a while ago that the start of K12's came with certain faults...

I've just found several 2004 K12's 1.2L ...

anything would be greatly appreciated? before the autodealer starts to persuade us to take it.

cheers guys!

Ian - Malta

avoid the early k12 models - 03-mid 05 unless the owner or dealer can prove the timing chain has been recently been replaced. These have a habit of stretching before renault, sorry i mean nissan became aware (so they say) of the diabolical quality of the materials, and changed the spec

Have a look in the forum and you will discover it is quite common up to mid 2005.

We had one k12, bought new in March 2004) now with 22k genuine miles, owned from new and full nissan service history on it, just before christmas, giving problems. Took to nissan, and diagnosed after a couple of camshaft sensors that it needed the timing chain replaced, and an estimated bill of over £1000

check the boot opens properly (micro switch has a habit of failing and costs a fortune to replace from nissan)

Ensure the indicator tell tale lights on the instrument panel work as it also costs a fortune to replace (have to replace the whole panel not just a bulb!)

now that is some bad news to know on the future of our manufacturer's ... I'm starting to doubt before buying further nissan, now that I noticed that renault is owning the majority of Nissan.

That is terrible, an inferior company owning a superior manufacturer.

i may be the only one to have noticed... but the 03-05 K12 mirrors are the same as the 96-01 Renault Megane hatch.

Yep and the dci diesel engines I am 99.9% sure are the same as in the clio/migrane, they use the same brake pads/discs, and if you delve into the electronics, are most likely renault stock items

they definitly are, sure 'DCi' is a renault brand name.. the micra 1.5 is the same 03 on megane :( its sad because nissan made fabulous cars that are now being polluted with french crap!

they definitly are, sure 'DCi' is a renault brand name.. the micra 1.5 is the same 03 on megane :( its sad because nissan made fabulous cars that are now being polluted with french crap!

Yeah, The old nissan diesel we got in the bluebird/primera/sunny, that engine was bullet-proof, even if it was only half serviced.
and the 1991 primera 1.6 I had a few years had over 300k on it:- you will never get that from a frog derrived engine!!!!!

i have to say that i work for Nissan and have a k12 on a 05 reg and its never put a foot wrong and the chains dont have a habbit of stretching if the service history is genuine the service schedule is every 9,000 miles and the link with Renault has nothing to do with the engine the link is with the running gear and suspension witch to be honest isnt to bad i will agree with you that Renault's arnt the best cars in the world but they make some cracking handling cars also the k12 isnt as as good as the k11 or the k10 but the k10 was built in japan were as the k11 and 12 were built in sunderland and the lat k11 also had Renault parts on and they were the only ones that failed we all know that the french cant do electrics lol

hop this helps dude

Thanks for your reply chiefo, what you said is right.

My loyalty towards nissan when coming to buy a new car was in concern mainly but if an individual is stressing on reliability and over engineering, it seems nissan can't be the choice for much longer as circumstances are pointing

thanks mate! appreciated your info as a nissan ambassador :D

i have to say that i work for Nissan and have a k12 on a 05 reg and its never put a foot wrong and the chains dont have a habbit of stretching if the service history is genuine the service schedule is every 9,000 miles and the link with Renault has nothing to do with the engine the link is with the running gear and suspension witch to be honest isnt to bad i will agree with you that Renault's arnt the best cars in the world but they make some cracking handling cars also the k12 isnt as as good as the k11 or the k10 but the k10 was built in japan were as the k11 and 12 were built in sunderland and the lat k11 also had Renault parts on and they were the only ones that failed we all know that the french cant do electrics lol

hop this helps dude
for someone who works at nissan you dont know very much :D lol

Did you know that Renaults in cabin electrics/ electronics are amongst the best in the world? BMW buy Renaults to strip them down to see how their in-cabin functions work....

Slam

Back