About milage, hours, fuel and cost

Corey

Deactivated Account
Hello i just need a little advice and guidance from you all :)

Basically I'm planning going away next year but i want to know if the k10 Micra Super S will be ok will doing a non stop give or take 170 mile 3 hour journey.. i know about Micra’s and know their ok but up to now I've had a fair few gasket problems and other things .. but yet my older 1.0 pre face lift keeps going..

also about MPGs and cost.. I'm thinking .....

350 mile round trip 35-45 mpg depending on how its driven but I'm thinking 60-70mph on the motor way and £1.20 fuel cost .. should be about £45-55 to get their and back

i don't want to go out and kill her .. its going to be just me and my friend and luggage.. the car has a standard LX carb on it , its 4-2-1 manifold and standard inlet all cats out stainless exhaust with no EGR head skimmed and new pistons and rings, port polish and engine rebuilt and liners honed its got K&n chrome top air filter Denso plugs and Magnecor leads.. its about 200-215 PSI and around 85bhp

Thanks

Dude the micra will run all day long untill it runs out of fuel, providing you don't thrash it to death. I drove mine to pembrokshire in south wales and a few days later, back again. My route was over 420miles round trip, and i did it all on one tank of fuel with a full load in the car at 62 - 65mph most of the way. So that's 420+miles on £40 of fuel. That was with the origional 1.0L engine, but i have taken my 1.2L just as far on the same fuel economy.
The ma12 is a very strong running engine so you'll never have any worries as long as you treat it right (Y)

Even if you did thrash it it's a ballsy engine, ok it's not refined like the cg but a 3/400 mile trip won't kill it and your mpg will be better if it's motorway driving just stay on the slow lane and cruise to where your going

The only thing you have to know about the ma12 is: always drive it carefully and not in high revs until it is warm.
Push it in high revs when cold easily kills the headgasket.
But I can't really imagine 85hp with this little mods ;)

I drove 4500km from Germany to Scotland and back, so 170m should not be a problem ;) even if the ma12 is a bit more difficult to handle

cheers and i dont want no digs about power.. you dont know the engine or have seen it , but yea im sure it will be ok and yea always let it warm up

thanks guys :)

i drive from sheffield to bristol which is 170miles in about 3hours at 70mph and no problems what so ever. Ive got a kent cam in mine and small wheels (speedo reads 85mph for actuall 70mp) and used just under £20 to get there

I don't know why people remove the egr stuff, i can understand it if you're fitting a 4-2-1 or some other performance manifold, but the egr stuff doesn't reduce power. Removing the T.O.C.S equipment does have a few side-effects; increased fuel consumption on local driving, "kangaroo-ing" on throttle down in the low gears, and a small ammount of lag in response.
The dashpot helps to reduce the last two symptoms but the damn things tend to seize up on you.
I'll tell you what though, port polishing is a sound investment, what a difference it makes. The engine definately feels much more free, and less restricted. I kept my stock manifolds but i had them polished smooth on the insides as well, if it helps the engine to breath more easily then it can only be a good thing (Y)

kool :) i dont want a big debate and argument here i know what forums are like specially car ones :p
but yea removing the egr is more or less for me a visual thing for the engine bay looking simple and clean and tidy but also stops clogging the engine with crap and runs better its just more simple :D

Or... keep the egr pipes but hook them up to a cupple of nitrous bottles :grinning:
Just out of interest has your engine tone changed at all with the mods? Mine became quite a bit deeper after the polishings. Just wondering if this is a common thing or weather my cars' balls have dropped lol.

Back