A sad day for the mighty micra...

smidge

» CMF Member
on the way to a friends wedding in the country, the pics tell the story but basically sitting on about 60-65, moved to the middle of the unselaed road to avoid some ****e on the road, went to move back to the left and she went straight ahead, overcorrected and started pumping the brakes but by then it had swapped ends a few times and ended up in a ditch... didn't hit the ditch hard, maybe at abut 10kph, but a tree did the rest of the slowing down for me..

smash repairer reckons its not worth fixing and would be questionable selling it on to someone when its had a hit on the A pillar

if i can find a cheap enough shell then i'll swap everything over with some additions hopefully and spray it a nice colour, good impetus for a BIG micra project...

it was in pretty good nick as the photo's below show...

smidge

» CMF Member
former glory, not 30 mins prior...

Attachments

• 33095.jpg
    33095.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 42

smidge

» CMF Member
started drifting on the top of that bend, went left, then right then left again then ditched..

Attachments

• 33098.jpg
    33098.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 25

smidge

» CMF Member
thanks for the link, i've had a chat to the sportclassic guys, hopefully i'll be able to sort something out..

luckily EVERYTHING on my car is totally fine except the shell so i should be able to get out of this without too much wallet pain

CMF_sikK11

» CMF Member
**** man that no good. The micras un settle pretty easy on the dirt hey. i looped out the other day being a **** but god it looped quick....Hope it all works out for ya.

smidge

» CMF Member
yep, handles like a dream on the road, and not too bad in the wet either... but dirt roads, doesn't feel really safe unless you're doing 25kph.

my tire pressures might have been a bit high too, not sure if that makes a different to grip on dirt... didn't think of it at the time..

smidge

» CMF Member
turbo: the A pillar internally is okay, and i don't think the chassis is bent too bad, its the damage on the front that concerns me, will weigh up fixing this to getting and new shell and going all out on it

will take it up the local place for a second opinion

sportsclassic: yeah they grip great on the road, and in the went, but i guess pretty useless on dirt

smidge

» CMF Member
haha yeah that wouldn't hurt i suppose! by the looks of it you guys are good with the rally gear... will need parts to fix this one or a shell to put my stuff in so either way should be able to figure something out

depends what the panel shop thinks, i'd rather a fresh shell if this ones gonna be crap

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Light cars are usually a bit frisky on the gravel.

My micra was fantastic on the gravel when it was loaded up with the long distance camping gear and 3 people though.

I think part of the problem is the rear end. The 5 link steers the rear when the body tilts - coupled with the lack of weight in the rear its easy to see how they can get a bit skittish on anything but sealed surfaces.

The short wheelbase can't be helping it either!

smidge

» CMF Member
i've done that gravel road before at closer to 100kms/h in an X-trail and my subaru

the micra felt frisky from the beginning so i thought 60 was pretty safe speed

not so :D

the rear end felt like it let go first, and even washing of speed didn't bring it back under control

when you're heading towards the trees it's a hard decision between putting it into the ditch at low speed or gambling staying off the brakes and trying to steer it back onto the road (at the risk of hitting the trees harder!)

CMF_tris

» CMF Member
jeez man... i thought the trolley dents/scratches on my car were bad.
looks like a ****in sweet road though!! where bouts is it?? sydney? id be keen to get the rally car down there!

tris

smidge

» CMF Member
on the way to rylstone, bit before mudgee... glen alice road its called

would be fun in a rally car, but pretty messy if you f*ck up cause as you can see, ditches on both sides of the road, not lovely grass run-offs

CMF_tris

» CMF Member
yeh haha i can see...

well the rally cars not just mine its a joint thing with some mates. but its a 84 toyota supra. bought it for $1000. 2.8l straight 6...more than double the micra haha... f**king BEAST! haha very oversteer happy in the wet! were in the process of fixing it up a bit, like rust and kitting it out with rally spec parts. thinking about spraying it black soon. pics bellow

Attachments

• 33314.jpg
    33314.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 35

CMF_noddy

» CMF Member
Hey smidge, can seriously appreciate your grief...
Hope you are ok. Would be fantastic if you can get your little one up and running again!

Did a bit of damage to mine on friday night (29/2/08)...
Was driving a friend up to Cooktown when we were stopped by a large steer at approximately 100 km/hr. Not much left of the poor little micra...but we both walked away. Only injuries were to my right hand...and my beloved micra. The steer didn't walk away... Thought I would include a pic to show you how lucky we all are. Stay safe and happy

Attachments

• 33442.jpg
    33442.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 26

smidge

» CMF Member
Wow! makes my prang look pretty basic huh!

i like the way you say "were stopped by" thats an interesting way to put it!!!!

glad you guys are alright, i hit so slow i didn't do any damage but woke me up to how easy it would be to come unstuck at high speed

CMF_noddy

» CMF Member
Nah...not basic. All bingles do your head in to some degree and make a dent in the wallet....they are never fun. Stoked we are still here to tell the tales!

Just lucky we didn't roll!! I hit the poor steer square and head on.....So it was all straight line speed!!! Somehow remembered NOT to swerve in that split second...

All I can say is EAT MORE BEEF!

smidge

» CMF Member
! it's amazing how much time you have to think in those 2 or 3 seconds huh!

up until the last 10-15 meters, when the car was swinging around i remembered not to jam on the brakes and just feathered them which i think probly saved the car from meeting the ditch or a tree head on

good work not swerving, the side of the road at 100kms wouldn't have been fun

Back