A little bit of a problem.

micra_tom

MICRA FTW!
Hey guys, i was wondering if any of you would be able to help me with a little bit of a problem im currently in with my girlfriends car.

Basicaly there is a loud electrical sound whenever she trys to put on her sidelights, and i honestly have no idea what is causing it (i am a bit of a noob at car electrics, but i am willing to learn lol)

Iv uploaded a vid to youtube, so you can understand more clearly what it is.

Thanks for all of you help :) !
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=tPh6ASKih7E

(dont forget to have you speakers on lol, not to loud though, the sound is quiet annoying)

Hey guys, i was wondering if any of you would be able to help me with a little bit of a problem im currently in with my girlfriends car.

Basicaly there is a loud electrical sound whenever she trys to put on her sidelights, and i honestly have no idea what is causing it (i am a bit of a noob at car electrics, but i am willing to learn lol)

Iv uploaded a vid to youtube, so you can understand more clearly what it is.

Thanks for all of you help :) !
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=tPh6ASKih7E

(dont forget to have you speakers on lol, not to loud though, the sound is quiet annoying)

Besides being a really annoying noise, that was happening to me sometimes when I was putting full beam on whilst having sidelights, it'd do that.

Do all the electrics dim somehow when you do it, sometimes?

I think it's a fault in the wiring or the stalk is nackered. Check with someone else.

kk will do dude, hopefully someone will come up with a solution here, or maybe able to advise me some more,

In regards to the diming lights, yeah my girlfriend basicaly has to have full beam on, as her left hand side head light works properly, where as her right hand side one will only go to about side light brightness....

Iv seen this prob on a few other micras (one light brighter than the other).
Any more advice would be great!!

there,s a little speaker near the steering column that buzzes if you,ve left the lighs on eh, maybe it,s not working right ?.
disconnect it maybe ?

Nah it's not that.

Try taking the stalk off, and fiddling the wires, check the connections. It sorted mine out.

It's weird, if I pulled my stalk slightly forward it would put all 4 lights on (super s driving lights + main beam) and if I put it fully forward only 1 of my headlights would work and 2 of the Super s driving lights.

Fiddle with the stalk, take it apart, or maybe try get a new one mate.

okidok, thanks for that fella, if i get a few moments tommorow, ill try and take it off (is this an easy thing? how do i do it? )

okidok, thanks for that fella, if i get a few moments tommorow, ill try and take it off (is this an easy thing? how do i do it? )

Just unscrew the steering column screws you'll get it off eventually, in true Micra style it's just unscrew and pop off.

Then unscrew the stalk and fiddle with the wiring.

"fiddle with the wiring." - is that the "haynes manual" term lol

ok then, thanks for that mate, ill see how it goes tommorow.

Sounds like the light warning that comes on when you open the door with lights on but no ignition.

Check all the wiring and that the door switch is working. If you have a haynes the diagram should be in there.

Surely it's a headlight relay making the noise? If one light is dim, i'd check the connector on the back of the light.

Im with Alan on this...it is definately the same problem that is quite common on the K10...the timbre of the sound is different but the nature is the SAME:

...the toatal resistance in the lighting curcuit has crept up to the point that when the relay pulls in there is a voltage drop that is big enough to cause the relay to drop straight back out again ....and so the cycle goes (very fast)....

cleaning the stalk contacts may help but its more likely that the contacts on the bulb plug are ccorroding (more significant) (due to exposure to environment) give em a wiggle or pull them off and on again while its buzzing....to see if it stops...

a good cleen up or replace these connections will help no end

Thanks so much for all you help everyone, iv got the day off work tommorow, so (with my girlfriends permission of course lol) im gonna give a few of ur sugestions a go. Ill update tommorow with the outcome!
Thanks again!

Start with mine first then! You won't need to remove any indicator stalks or damage anything in the process

Start with mine first then! You won't need to remove any indicator stalks or damage anything in the process
Thirded.

On my K11 it was the headlight connector that had melted (quite a common problem) and was shorting out causing the relay to create a buzzing sound

Back