80mph, max now!

CMF_GT

» CMF Member
Iv put a k&n cone filter on my 1.0 and it now will only get to 80mph. I don’t know what happened?

Before I had 110mph out of my stand air box! Iv put on some heavy 15/195/40 wheels on as well so I was expecting to loose a bit of speed but not that much.
dose anyone think its my wheels that is the problem? Or is it something else.

cisco

» CMF Member
Gday mate,

The wheels will post a massive problem on such a tiny engine. Put the factory 13"'s back on for sure. The factory do a lot of thinking behind things such as wheel size before they make your car.

Putting a cone filter straight onto the throttle body is worse than the standard airbox. Put the airbox back on.

The standard air box has a lot of advantages over the cone filter. The standard air box sucks in much colder air, and it stores air inside the air box to give you your throttle response.

Reverse both of these modifications. They are both bad things to do for performance, as you've found out! I'm sure your big wheels will have made the car handle a lot better. But its a compromises, so totally up to you.

All the best.

CMF_GT

» CMF Member
Thanks that helps a lot. IV looked at your article about the cold air intake and noted that you had put heat rap round your manifold (witch I have now done) and that the filter sits on a tube.
Which do you think is a better bet; a plastic tube or a mettle one witch is rapped in heat rap.

I no longer have a good set of 13in after a good track day...... ;)

I am thinking of getting a new set of light weight wheels in 14in

CMF_Micra Nut

» CMF Member
i got a set of 14''s with 185 / 50 /r14's and my car runs just as good. i dont notice any difference. I also put a cone filter on, but i brought it to the front of the car to suck in cold air. Seems to work grand and i checked it on data scan and it is close to the standard air intake. My mate has 185 / 60 / 14''s and his car does seem to labour a bit more. 15'' alloys sound too big for a 1.0 . Try 14''s or get some nice 13''s.

CMF_GT

» CMF Member
Thanks mate that sounds right! I am now looking for some lightweight wheels and yes they are going to be 14"s but I am not giving up the 195/40 size of them. Good thing they where cheep!

I now live in Milton keynes so there are thousands of roundabouts and the wheels help so much.

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
What has throttle response got to do with top speed?

I've tried two different 1L 5spd K11's, both maxed out around 85mph give or take. This was on a level road.

One car had standard 165/70 13tyres, the other had 185/70 13, which have an oversize diameter.

If anything, removing the entire air box might have given a couple of mph advantage.

I can't imagine how 110mph can be achieved from a standard CG10DE, without a steep downhill & a gale blowing from behind.

(We've got an office in Milton Keynes, Kiln Farm.)

CMF_Micra Nut

» CMF Member
Well i have done 90 - 93mph in my 1.0l but i never pushed it to see if i could get anymore. i can get just over 80mph in 4th gear and still have 5th. I reckon maybe 100mph but then again i ve never tried it so, im only guessing

CMF_Polar

» CMF Member
nzaj standard k11 wheels are 155/70/13
if you had 165/70/13 your speedo would have been showing slower, and way way too slow if 185/70/13.
i have had speedo 100mph on the flat easy on standard k11.

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
Speeds were read from a laptop connected to the consult port running nissan datascan software. Tyre sizes can be entered into the software & it makes a correction for speed.

Just checked standard tyre sizes, thought I was already running biscuits & assumed they were standard, wouldn't have guessed there'd be a 12" option. G sharp (super S) runs 175 standard, woopee.
http://www.carview.co.jp/vip/specifications/NISSAN/MARCH/1992.asp

100mph, surely you're talking about a standard CG13DE powered K11 rather than CG10DE?
How many rpm's does a CG10DE powered UK assembled K11 do in 5th gear at a fixed speed, e.g. 100km/hr or 70mph. Maybe the ratios are different? Jap spec does about 3000rpm at 100km/hr in 5th.

I'm starting to wonder if the difference might be in the exhaust. Does the UK assembled K11 use a close coupled cat? (Catalytic converter mounted just after the exhaust ports connected with an ugly looking manifold with short runners) Jap spec has a 36mm ID exhaust pipe exiting the back of the car.

Kiln Farm would probably be an industrial area in Milton Keynes. The business I work for has an office there. I've never been there, don't know anything about it, just seen the address on the stationary.

CMF_Polar

» CMF Member
the march 1.0 is more powerful than the uk k11 pre 2000 anyway. as the uk version has 2 cats and jap only 1. also jap ecu is better.
if you calculated speeds from ecu and with tyre spec then you will be closer to real speed i thought you meant what the speedo says. top speed of the 1.0 is 93mph officially. and 106mph for the 1.3. thats not what the speedo will be saying though :).

CMF_Polar

» CMF Member
the march 1.0 i used to have had the orignal wheels and tyres on, 145/80/12. they fit on a micra only at the rear, too small for the front as the uk k11 have bigger front brake system, but using solid discs and not vented like the march.

CMF_Polar

» CMF Member
you dont have micra then i would say.. if you have a uk k11 you have 2 cats, unless it has been modified. or as i said you have a 2000 onwards uk k11. you have a march k11 then it seems. even more so you should be able to have the speedo showing easily over the 100mph mark.
are you sure you have 195/40/15 tyres i didnt know they existed.
also did you correctly install your K&N.

CMF_GT

» CMF Member
Yer they are 195/40/15 Yokohama A539, they came with my 15" TSW's.
Iv just made a intake pipe for the air filter at collage and it now will hit 110mph again, I’ll put some pics on when I can. I have rapped it in exhaust rap and I think it helps.

CMF_Polar

» CMF Member
can you post up a picture of the tyre wall info as looking at the yoko website they list all sizes available for the a539 and 195/40/15 is not one of them.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
15" we still have a fair few good tyres available thanks to the VW Polo now coming with 195/45R15 standard. C.Drive isnt in our 15" profiles afaik.

Other than the usual Nankang/Nexen stuff (which apprently isnt too bad nowdays) there's a cheap priced GT Radial "Champiro" 328 i think it was around $122 each, $180 Yoko A539, $220 Continental SportContactII (i think this would be my personal pick if i had $220 to throw at tyres for a micra).

there's possibly some higher performance falkens too. Probably best off waiting for next financial year though as thats when bridgestone might wake up and start bringing in the 195/45r15 for the small euro cars which have them fitted. Toyo might do the same hopefully.

Thats so long as you want to keep it legal. 195/50R15's scrubbed on my car under certain circumstances.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
around ET40. wheels dunno really. 6" i think - not that this really mattered.

Normal driving was OK but if you pushed around corners the tyres would scrub inside the guards on the front and at the rear would scrub as the suspension hit max low travel over large humps in the road etc.

Back