5th gear rattling gear stick noise??

Hello

When in 5th and cruising along i get a rattle from the gear stick? if i hold the gear stick it stops. is this common on micras?

its a 99 1.3 5dr with 60ish thou on clock

cheers

worn gear linkage bush m8. in 5th/reverse gear there's no twisting load on the linkages so the loose bushes allows them to vibrate like mad

yeah bush or spring its an easy fix if you have a good jack id recommend chucking some wheels under the car if you dont have axel stands or anything

Ah cheers. I was thinking people were meaning to bend the bit that the spring hooks onto! So it's the ends of the springs that snap then? Going to get it up on the ramps for a look. I'm sure I can hear it rattling under there.

if you hear the spring clang when movin the stick side to side or rattle about, just re-bend a new hook end.

if the gear knob itself rattles while cruising in 5th the worn polyurethane bush assembly will need replacing. alternative is to machine a new custom tight fitting bush or ball-bearing linkages.

Ah mine will be the bush then. I've got a GTIR short shifter and thought the pin was a tad loose when I fitted it. It was about half a mm smaller in diameter so i packed it with copper slip :/

Mine was the spring. Pulled it off which stopped the rattle. Getting a new one from Nissan to fit. Hardest bit is getting the bloody heatguard off!

Hi. I don't have this gear stick noise or any vibrations at all.

But I've noticed only in 5th speed some noise in dashboard. It sounds like tiny wings on vent plastic are moving, but inside dashboard, I suppose. Iritates a bit..

Does anyone has this behavior? Any advice?

Cheers.

Last edited:
Hi. I don't have this gear stick noise or any vibrations at all.

But I've noticed only in 5th speed some noise in dashboard. It sounds like tiny wings on vent plastic are moving, but inside dashboard, I suppose. Iritates a bit..

Does anyone has this behavior? Any advice?

Cheers.
Sure you ain't got a wasp in there :D

Back