4:1 Manifold

CMF_Nissanmania

» CMF Member
This is the latest dyno run after changing from 4:2:1 manifold to 4:1 item from Impul.

Some explanatory notes first:
1. This dyno runs low so ignore absolute HP figures - can run 10-20% lower than other dynos. More interested in HP changes and the shape and area under the curve.
2. Previous dyno runs were in fourth gear which gave an abnormally low reading - just as the diameter of the wheels can change a reading etc. These runs are in 3rd gear which gives a more comparable output to other dynos.

My driving impressions of the new Impul 4:1 manifold - awesome! Doesn't look so dramatic on the chart but the dip at around 4000rpm with the old manifold has disappeared with a good solid gain all the way to 7000rpm where it dips (no amount of tuning changes this so probably a characteristic of the overall package). And it sounds fantastic too with an angry rasp as it barrels up the rev range (will post a video sometime soon). Was running lean through the whole map with the new manifold on so was obviously flowing alot better. There's probably a little more to be gained in the 4-7000rpm area with a bit more tuning. I'm not too worried about the fall off over 7000rpm as would only spend 5% of the time up there and not that noticeable. Likewise with the area between 2-3,000rpm. The significant gain is the increase in the area under the curve between 4000 and 7000rpm - the play zone!

A 4:1 manifold, especially with short primaries should theoretically work mainly in the upper rev range but this set up seems to offer a reasonably broad power band. I would add this motor has very aggressive high duration/lift Datrats sourced cams and quad throttles so would not expect the same results on a stockie.

Attachments

• 28409.jpg
    28409.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 53

smidge

» CMF Member
be curious to know what the difference on the dyno would be if you moved that pod filter directly to the manifold... i know you won't get as cold air but when sitting still you'd get heat soak anyway

something i'd be interested in knowing but wouldn't want to spend $100 on a dyno run to find out on a stockie!

CMF_Nissanmania

» CMF Member
I knew someone would ask me how much! Too bloody much - but worth it considering that it tops off the whole project nicely. Around $1500 through Japanparts - but that was before the exchange rate dived.

Pod filter directly on intake manifold is not good in principle - sucking in lots of warm air = loss of HP. Funnily enough Mulholland and Nismo with their March Cup cars have quad throttles without an airbox so they don't seem to be too worried about sucking in hot engine bay air. Their cars (like mine) are probably not standing still too much though!

CMF_Dark Side

» CMF Member
Very nice. You could always wrap the extractors in heat shield material to help keep heat away from the air intake pod filer.

CMF_GTRHOLIC

» CMF Member
awesome. ive had my impuls for almost 2 years now. and although im going turbo very soon, i still love the idea of having a tuff n/a car. I can honestly say it was one of the best mods ive done to the car, along with the impul blast exhaust. one of the very few manifolds that run with the a/c too!

CMF_Nissanmania

» CMF Member
Yeah, I do remember you having the Impul manifold so it's good to hear it's lasted the distance without cracking etc. The nice flex built in should minimise this possibility.

Still running a press bent 2" system from the cat back so may look at a mandrel bent item down the track. Might only be a small amount in it.

The runners do seem to give plenty of clearance if you do have A/C (mine's been removed) and also clears the dipstick easily.

CMF_Dodgy Haro

» CMF Member
"I knew someone would ask me how much! Too bloody much - but worth it considering that it tops off the whole project nicely. Around $1500 through Japanparts - but that was before the exchange rate dived.

Yeah ... the price put me off ordering one despite looking the balls ...

Fwiw - if anyone else is interested in getting these in, Greenline Motorsports are also able to get these into Australia and the price they quoted me was a bit less than that although it is a special order item and you'll have to request them by email ... their prices too are subject to the exchange rate.

http://www.greenline.jp/

Back