Advice on 4:1 exhaust manifold

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
I've seen a lot of custom jobs, but does anyone actually have premade stuff for the CG anymore? Every place I called said their only option was custom (after every person asked "a nissan what?"). I'd heard Midas were sellers of Hurricane extractors. When I called one of their stores I was quoted nearly $400 for custom (somewhat understandable) and another one of their places tried desperately to convince me that I would gain nothing from it and that I should leave my setup as it is... Sigh.

Are you looking to make your own ones up if you get measurements for lengths?

---dens

CMF_Nissanmania

» CMF Member
I probably will need to get some made up as a bit of a trial for my NA build. Am interested in getting a setup as on March Cup cars as this is really where my motor is at. Currently have Hurricane 4-2-1 setup with 2" exhaust.

CMF_mipcar

» CMF Member
I also have the Hurricane setup and a 2" system. You will gain some power. I've lost my old dyno run sheets. As I recall my car stock put out 44kw at the wheels. With the extractors and getting rid of the front cat. It went up to nearly 50kw.atw.

Mychael

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
So you're going from a 4-2-1 Hurricane setup to a 4-1 setup? Presumably for more top-end power I'm guessing.. Also assuming those hurricane extractors are ones designed to allow room for aircon, modified for aircon or you've removed aircon :p

I'd be interested in the 4-2-1's if you're interested in selling after you upgrade.

---dens

CMF_Nissanmania

» CMF Member
From a bit of research, exhaust manifold design is a pretty complex area (especially for NA motors) where the intended use, type of cams, compression ration, desired RPM range etc will determine the configuration.

There is a good article at http://www.team-integra.net/sections/articles/showArticle.asp?ArticleID=2 which cover the theory.

Otherwise building one from scratch is pot luck and trial and error which can get expensive with the cost of dyno time and custom fabrication.

CMF_lam.666

» CMF Member
gtrholic has the impul 4-1 headers you might be able to ask him for some measurements

$400 for hurrican headers is a rip

call them directly their worth about $250 new

Back