3 Cack jobs left to get through MOT

Its come down to the last 3 jobs on my £130 Micra to get it though its MOT, I've fixed everything else. The last three jobs are all things I'm not looking forward to:

Change a CV joint

Replace the waterpump gasket

Repair the reversing light sender in the gearbox

They are all nasty jobs. Can't believe the waterpump gasket, I bought the expensive Halfords high performance anti freeze to treat old thing. Flushed the cooling system and filled it up 50/50 with this and water. About £10 worth. How did it respond? It leaked it all out over my driveway via the water pump. Really annoyed me that did!

Anyone changed a CV joint? I'm waiting for my Haynes manual to arrive and I'm not sure where to start? I'm going down the scrap yard possibly later today to pull one off a car over there. Theres a thread on here, but it seems to be more focussed on changing a boot, rather than the whole CV joint.

dont think any of those are mot fails...maybe advisory

cv suppose it depends on how bad it is but the rest .....

Cheapskate said:
Repair the reversing light sender in the gearbox

yeah this has done my nut in for ages... i've told the garage about tha faulty sender but they stand there scratching their heads... i've located the sender cable to the box but Edited if i know how to fix it...

would be great if there were a guide for this...

mean micra said:
yeah this has done my nut in for ages... i've told the garage about tha faulty sender but they stand there scratching their heads... i've located the sender cable to the box but f/me if i know how to fix it...

would be great if there were a guide for this...

If I ever get round to doing this, I'll write a guide up.

The CV joint is definitely a failure, just a split boot alone is a failure, so a mangled boot with clunking noises on cornering is definitely a failure!

As for the water pump gasket, its not so much a failure as undrivable until I fix it. Basically, if I pour water into the rad, it pours straight back out the side of my engine around the waterpump. I don't really fancy driving it without coolant!

Back