220000km??

CMF_michelle2005

» CMF Member
Hi there,

Was wondering if it is worth buying a micra with 220000km on it? Apparently it has not mechanical probs and has never been in an accident.

It's a 1995 auto

Thanks for your input!
Michelle.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
What is the price?

Is the overall condition of it OK?

At those sort of KM you may be looking at replacing the CVT Transmission in the near future which could be expensive.

CMF_M5

» CMF Member
Hi!

Check for oil usage, excessive smoke from the exhaust (blue smoke is bad) and timing chain rattle, service records and reciepts are very important when the mileage is that high so you can see how much work has actually been done and how long ago. The price seems a bit on the high side for that many k's. Happy Micra hunting!

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Yep price is definately to high, regardless of the condition it is in as 220,000km doesntust relfect the wear on the engine.

Everything else on the car has done 220,000km worth of work. Steering rakc, bearings, brakes, seals, exhaust, electrics, radiator and the list goes on...

Attachments

• 10431.jpg
    10431.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 28

cisco

» CMF Member
If it has a decent history and looks pretty decent elsewhere, I would offer them $4000 and see how you go.

The engine can last a lot longer, it just depends on how it was driven and looked after. See what your gut feeling is about the car, overall care taken over time to look after it. Annoying little things might indicate that the owner was a bit slack, and therefore they were probably a bit slack on the servicing/maintenance side aswell.

You can always buy a $600 japanese low km engine and swap it straight in. Total cost including labour should not be any more than about $1000. So that's an option for any micra you decide to buy aswell if you really have to do that. But in reality you almost certainly won't need to.

cisco

» CMF Member
Air con is difficult to get aftermarket thesedays. The aftermarket kit companies don't make it here any more brand new, so you have to find a used one, and its getting quite tricky. So if you really really want air con, not a bad idea to get a car with it already in their working, otherwise go for it.

Air con gets in the way of good modifications!

But we have it in the white micra for comfort (although broken, about to be fixed!).. but not in my fast micra.

CMF_M5

» CMF Member
Hi again Michelle

Did u say earlier that it was an auto? If it is I'm pretty sure its not a Super S, It would have to be an SLX 5 door as I'm sure the Super S did not come out in an auto.

CMF_michelle2005

» CMF Member
Hi

They said it was an auto... I haven't been able to look at it myself yet. They also specifically said super S... so who knows. They also said it's got a sunroof, was it only the super S's that had the sunroof?

CMF_M5

» CMF Member
Yep, thats right the super s had the standard sunroof and other goodies like ABS disc brakes. Pretty sure its a manual then, the super s was the upmarket sports model, same 1.3 motor though, definately worth a look.

CMF_makes

» CMF Member
Hi Michelle,

The Australian "Super S" included ABS, Rev Counter, Better Seats, Sunroof, driving lights, unique front & rear bumpers. It was only available as a two-door manual.

The only automatic released in Australia was the four door SLX. These never had a factory sunroof.....

I suspect the vendor is confused... if it is actually an SLX then sunroof must be "aftermarket".... if it is actually a SuperS then an automatic gearbox conversion must have been performed on it "aftermarket".

Check out Cisco's article on tips for buying a micra ;
http://www.micra.com.au/information/buyer-beware.php

Good luck with finding the right car for you. In my opinion you are after an affordable 2nd-hand small car the micra is the best available.... ;)

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
michelle2005 - before you make a decision you need to look at the car in daylight and you need to run a REVS check on the car's VIN.

I believe the car you are interested in was owned by site member RIPSuperS.

{That better?}

CMF_michelle2005

» CMF Member
Wow, you're right! Thanks for that. It's the same car... the lady told me it hand't been in any accidents... hmm.

Now I am quite put off the car... is there any good points to it? Thanks :)

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
The engine is good and it has a new clutch. I don't think its a bad car, it is pretty straight as the accident wasnt major. What wrote it off was its dodgey paintwork.

Anyway why don't you come along to the Meet on the 22nd? COme along and talk to some existing owners who are more than willing to chat about and show you their cars. They're a bit biased though. ;-)

It should be a lovely afternoon.

CMF_michelle2005

» CMF Member
Thanks for all the info :)
Yom - so does that mean it has a dodgy paint job now (if you know)?

Also, I read in a past thread that it was in fact a manual... do you think the lady would have put an auto in it... or has she made some error?

CMF_michelle2005

» CMF Member
Hi again,

I've given up on that car :(
But have found another :) Does anyone know how much weight a micra can support? (I run a small business and will need to put heavy boxes in the back). And do the back seats fold down? I'm looking at a hatchback.

Thanks again!

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
lol...

I just check redbook for car lengths and it seems I'm wrong

LX SLX
Wheel Base 2360mm 2360mm
Length 3695mm 3695mm
Width 1585mm 1585mm
Height 1430mm 1430mm
Track Front 1360mm 1360mm
Track Rear 1325mm 1325mm

And thinking back, now I realise I was off. I measured using a rough arm length but that wasnt the problem. I measured a car which had been rear ended something cronic. Whoops. Hehehe

CMF_White Knight

» CMF Member
Yes SlX 4 door the best. Seats fold flat and you would have better access to the loads via rear doors.
Weight?? Well say you had 3 adults on board plus luggage ?
You could safely load 250kg.at least plus driver.

Back