2000 W red Micra 998 cc

Hey Peeps,

MY friend just got this as her first car. For a price of £450, without tax (but does have MOT) with 116,000 miles.

But it has been serviced regualarly and miles were motorway miles. There were no unusual noises and the car drive really well.

ONe problem i notices, the front slam panel at the bottom is starting to rust, is that just bolts onto the car yeah ? And where would it be best to get a replacement ?

IS this a big job?

Thanks
Ming

So is it right hthe 2000 16v micra uses a timing chain instead of belt? If so how often should the chain be oiled?

Thanks
Ming

Blimey, I had no idea you could get the entire thing like that!

The K11 has a water trap at the bottom of that front panel, which rusts. Happens to most, certainly happened to mine. Nissan charge about £350 for the repair. I had a local garage weld and underseal it for £115.

Yes, your Micra has a timing chain. It shares the sump oil and, as far as I'm aware, so long as the engine is regularly serviced and the oil changed, the timing chain should last the life of the car.

N

ahh many thanks mate :). Will service the car. The car has done 116000, but it drives nice and tight with no visual oil leak.

Are there any common fualts i should look out for ?

Thanks
Ming

You can buy just the front cross member (lower part of the front panel).
It is spot welded on along with 10 or so large bolts. It is a fairly time consuming job but not too difficult
It is behind the bumper. No need to paint in the right colour. I used black stonechip paint.

I just bolted the new one on to ours. I would have thought this was good enough. Some don't agree.
You could bolt the replacement into place yourself and get it welded.

I think garages charge £200-£300 for the full job

Wow, i didnt realise this much could be replaced either! :) the whole underside of my car is basically rusting now haha, although i've not had the engine oil changed in 10 years, and.....i still dont have timing chain rattle o_O, not yet anyway but i do want to change it eventually.

Keep it well maintained as they say though, you wont have any problems with it, at all :).

Back