101.6mm wheels

If I had a pound for the number of times I've seen people say "These Mini wheels will fit with wobble nuts" I'd be a rich man, however in all this time I've yet to see a thread with pictures of these "wobble nuts" in action.

It's a dangerous bodge in my opinion.

If I had a pound for the number of times I've seen people say "These Mini wheels will fit with wobble nuts" I'd be a rich man, however in all this time I've yet to see a thread with pictures of these "wobble nuts" in action.

realy? i have seen hundreds of cars using them with no problems. it does depend on the type of wheel though and what wheel nut/stud/bolt they used originally. i had mini wheels with pcd variation nuts on a micra, see Robbs for sale thread in the FS section, pics in there of them fitted to his k11

I have been running 101.6mm pcd superlights for several months now with no issues. Admittedly, as wobble nuts were something new, to me for the first month or so I checked the nuts on a daily basis. I still check them now and again, probably monthly, and have never had to retorque them. The most important issue when using them is to centre the wheels correctly on the hub. My wheel centres are oversize so I was able to fit spigot rings to keep them hubcentric. I do think "a dangerous bodge" is rather an inflammatory statement!

i think the term "wobble" fills people with fear. PCD Variant bolts much better. a lot of people think they work by bending to fit, that is not the case. the nut/bolt does not move, its the seat washer that moves. that why they can only be used on different pcds upto 2mm difference

i think the term "wobble" fills people with fear. PCD Variant bolts much better. a lot of people think they work by bending to fit, that is not the case. the nut/bolt does not move, its the seat washer that moves. that why they can only be used on different pcds upto 2mm difference
Well said Hoop. And that is 2mm per PCD variant nut ;), There is only 1.6mm pcd difference overall between mini and micra so that is a mere 0.8mm per nut, nowhere near the 2mm maximum :D

Well I see that no one has provided a direct link to photos of these wobble nuts? I will agree that a snug fit on the hub centre improves the situation and is something that should be considered essential. I won't comment on the bent to fit studs.

Ebay draws a blank on PCD variant nuts http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p3984.m570.l1313&_nkw=PCD Variant nuts&_sacat=0

Ok I'll admit these wobble nuts look OK to me, used with a snug centre bore I think they'll be fine http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=wobble+nuts&_sacat=0&_odkw=PCD+Variant+nuts&_osacat=0

040320121647.jpg

mini wheels with "wobble" nuts 101.6

This is such a weird situation, as a Mini based car owner I've always wished several styles of alloy wheel only available in 100 mm PCD were available in 4" PCD, It was always the case that the choice of wheels in 100mm PCD was huge, and the Mini range very limited.

"Ok I'll admit these wobble nuts look OK to me, used with a snug centre bore I think they'll be fine"
Welcome to the dark side :D

Ta :) as was said, the term wobble just conjures up lots of wobbling wheels :eek: I've had 4" PCD wheels on a 100 PCD car just to move about and it seemed really tight, I guess you also need wheels that have holes bigger than the stud to work as well. The steel wheels I was using were really tight on those larger studs as well. That one experience has clouded my view on the issue.

Yeah, as I said earlier I wasn't too sure so checked them VERY regularly. I can well believe that they would feel too tight without room around the studs. We're all here to share information and experiences so hopefully this helps more people. Its all good :D

Back