1.3 cams in a 1.0L engine... How to do it?

peposhi

Once I win the Euromillions...
Hi, guys

I've decided to fit 1.3 cams in my 1.0L engine.
I searched and found many discussions but not a guide how to actually do it.
Do you think, I would be able to do it by myself following your guidance?

Once done I'd gladly share with you and everyone intending to do it some pics and thoughts.

So, for a start, the steps would be:

1. Buy 1.3 cams
2. Drain oil
3. Remove sparks
4. Open rocker cover
5. ...

No need to drain oil or remove plugs. It's only a half hour job once you've done it once, have you got a haynes manual - I'd recommend following that the first time you do it.

This is what I do in the form of steps. I'm sure someone with more knowledge, pics and a better way with words will input more.
I'd also recommend just installing the inlet cam first, the 1.3 exhaust cam changes the powerband quite a bit, not necessarily for the better, especially as yours is auto.

1. Buy Cams.
2. Unplug leads, unclip hoses from rocker cover.
3. Unscrew rocker cover.
4. Remove rocker cover and rubber gasket.
5. Set engine to TDC. (not necessary, but makes it easier)
6. Make markings on the sprokets and chain to note their position.
7. Remove sprocket bolt and washer from one cam.
6. Remove sprocket from cam and chain.
7. Remove camshaft retaining bolts and retainers(?)
(keep all bolts with thier respective holder to fit back in same location)
8. Remove Camshaft.
9. Place 1.3 Camshaft. (the one with the slot on the end is the exhaust cam, for the distributor)
10. Bolt the cam down with correct holders and bolts in same location. Torqued to 22 IIRC
11. Refit sprocket onto camshaft, dowel and chain with all markings realigned.
12. Refit sprocket bolt and washer torqued to 115 IIRC.
13. Either do the the other cam or refit rocker cover and gasket and put back leads.

That's the essentials anyway. And as you can see it's pretty straight forward. So go get some cams.

I normally put it to TDC, hold the sprocket and chain tight in the position it was and swap the cams over. Then bolt them back in. You cant get it wrong but if you drop it or give slack on the chain you could jump a tooth. So if your not confident mark everything LOL

can't remember if cg's have holes in the sprockets but if there anything like the sr20's i used to tie wrap the sprocket to the chain.

Just be bloody carefull not to drop the washer from the end down into the engine! I did it twice and its a pain in the bum.

Thanks fro the advice guys, rang today 2 scrap yards... no answer yet. Strange, is it so hard to get them or they are so expensive?!?

Thanks fro the advice guys, rang today 2 scrap yards... no answer yet. Strange, is it so hard to get them or they are so expensive?!?

yards are usually reluctant to break engines peposhi, they prefer to sell them complete eh (yours is pre-coilpack ?)

yards are usually reluctant to break engines peposhi, they prefer to sell them complete eh (yours is pre-coilpack ?)

So have to look for someone braking his own car then... Just got a call from one of them - N/A...
Frank, I'm very familiar with the English technical terminology. Would you give me a hint about the pre-coil pack thing, please?

So have to look for someone braking his own car then... Just got a call from one of them - N/A...
Frank, I'm very familiar with the English technical terminology. Would you give me a hint about the pre-coil pack thing, please?

pre 2000, with a distributor lol :) ? because hooded has some 1.4 cams for sale eh (the inlet will fit a pre 2000, but the exh cam would need a slot cutting in the end)

pre 2000, with a distributor lol :) ? because hooded has some 1.4 cams for sale eh (the inlet will fit a pre 2000, but the exh cam would need a slot cutting in the end)
Should I go only for the inlet cam as euro_micra suggested above

I'd also recommend just installing the inlet cam first, the 1.3 exhaust cam changes the powerband quite a bit, not necessarily for the better, especially as yours is auto. ?
And Chris has 1.4 cams, are they the same as the 1.3 one?

Should I go only for the inlet cam as euro_micra suggested above
I'd also recommend just installing the inlet cam first, the 1.3 exhaust cam changes the powerband quite a bit, not necessarily for the better, especially as yours is auto. ?

And Chris has 1.4 cams, are they the same as the 1.3 one?

yeh, same profile, and you get more of a gain from the inlet imo, and its very easy to drill the dowelhole to make 2 x inlet cams (dead opposite/inline with #1 lobe)

yeh, same profile, and you get more of a gain from the inlet imo, and its very easy to drill the dowelhole to make 2 x inlet cams (dead opposite/inline with #1 lobe)

Frank, if that will work on my automatic hoover :) I'll go for it. Well later I'll need your advice for the 2 x inlet cams :)
I'll check with hooded what's the story with them cams

Back