New Bumpers..

micra_tom

MICRA FTW!
Hey Guys, iv just sent of for a quote from www.1stchoicespares.com for :

-Rear Micra Super S bumper (k11)
-Front Micra Super S bumper (k11)

But my car is a 1.0 tropic, will this be a direct replacement? this may be a stupid question but hey id rather ask you guys then go and fudge it up lol

Iv also been getting prices around the £60 mark (including delivery - which is the main thing for me cos im so lazy! lol) Does this sound good to you guys??

Any help would be brilliant!
Thanks

yep they will be a direct replacement. You can usually pick up ss bumpers for around £20-£25 each from scrappys.

Okioki dear lol, thanks for the quick reply... i would go to a local scrappy, but i don't even no where the local one is, and i haven't ever been to one before so i wouldn't know how it all works lol... i'm just gonna give this spares people a call and get them to send em to me...
How are u anyways mate lol

EDIT: WEYHEY! Just ordered the bumpers!! Just took the first steps towards starting my project!! I'm getting them sent from All Jap Spares (just outside Birmingham)..Customer service was really good, they said i will get the deliver on Monday or Tuesday now..so happy!! gonna be starting my first ever car project lol

EDIT:Oh shiz, just realised i didn't ask whether they come with the driving lights...they will wont they? they like come as one right, you don't have to order both do yah?

Ah crap! how much do they lights usally cost? cos i got both of the bumpers + postage + v.a.t for £55 in the end..

Oh fair enuff, you never no, they might come with em, not to fussed if they dont, cos i think i got them for a pretty good price. Ill just have to keep my eyes peeled incase someone on here sticks a set up for sale.. Thanks for your help Joe

Just recived my super s bumpers...NOT....omg i am so mad, i cant actually word it! iv recived the bumpers and they are just your standard black bumpers? i just rang the company, and they where like we havent had any super s bumpers for about a year and a half...and i said but i dont need these bumpers? and they go well theres not much we could do about that! OMG SO MAD!!!!!!!!! so annoyed...i made sure i said to the lady i wanted super s and she said that everything is ok! omg anyways..i would say rant over, but its not in my head!
£70 DOWN THE DRAIN!

No chance of sending them back mate?

Just found this on their website mate:

"In the event that a part(s) are supplied and prove to be incorrect or faulty upon fitting, the supplying member must be notified within 48 hours. Collection can then be arranged, if a replacement is not available then a full refund will be offered.

In the event that a part is supplied as ordered but the customer had ordered incorrectly, the dismantler must be contacted immediately and the part returned to the dismantler within 7 days of purchase at the cost of the customer. The dismantler will refund the customer but may charge a carriage and packaging fee"

Ooh i didnt see that! well when i rang them they where really moody about it! i suppose i can try and call them again and get them to get someone to come and pick it up! thanks for you help buddy! im so annoyed..Just makes me laugh how they say they havent had any super s bumpers for over a year...so ghey! lol Thanks again matey

Oh and scouse was that from the All Jap spares website or Firstchoicespares.com website?

Oh and heres a piccy so that i can double check these are deffinatly not super s bumpers right? lol..
100_0246.jpg

I was just thinking, if i was to sand these down, primer them, then paint them, would they come out in the same sort of red as the rest of the pannels? Has anyone ever done this before? Anyone had any experience with straying these type of bumpers?
any help would be great chaps lol

tom
i sprayed my bog standard ones, but if you want a shiny (not textured) finish you need to primer them first, and sand them down.
i scuffed the plastic with some very coarse paper (for the paint to key on properly) then used 2 pack primer (carefully brushed on with no thinners, ie, megga thick:eek:) then sanded and painted them, (pics in my blog)
and the only way to guarantee a colourmatch is to blend the nearby panels, im afraid :)

under the distance and selling act if they were advertised as super s and you called them within 72 hours of receiving them then you can claim it back as it's their fault.

would super s bumper fit on a pre-facelift L ..it might be a LX

Any pre-face lift K11 can have the super S bumpers fitted to them, it's more to do with the wiring for the driving lamps (note there're not fog lights as they only come on on full beam not when you stick your fogs on - at least thats what they did with my SR).

Thanks for that frank, gonna check out your blog now dude.
Wilsonian, how i see it, all though they aint the ones i ordered, they are still in a much much better condition than the ones i currently had, and it wasnt like i was ripped off? so im gonna just try and do the spraying that frank just spoke about.

Hi Just wondering if anyone would give me any advice on what products i will need to buy to change my ugly black bumpers into shiny red ones? Frank done a wicked job on his, but didnt really put much detail into how he done it (and that is the effect im after).
Gonna go out tommorow and get the bits.
Thanks again everyone!

tom, there was more detail, :) but 2 pages of my blog got hacked grr.
i scuffed the feature lines with 24grit paper, then filled them with p38, then machined (electric d/a) the whole bumper with 40grit, then washed it with gunwash (cheap cellulose thinner), then carefully brushed 2pack primer (unthinned, very thick) all over, then machined it with 180grit with a sponge velcro backing pad (a 1/2" thick cushion pad which makes the 180grit pad hug the contours of the bumper), then aerosoled the basecoat (about 10 coats), then aerosoled the lacquer (about 10 coats).
the scuffing and thinner wash are very important for the filler/paint to key on properly, and to avoid cracks appearing and flaking

Hi Frank, Sorry to hear about the Hacking.
Wow didnt Know how much went into it. I dont have a sanding machine, will it be ok to do by hand? How long did it take you?

So basicaly i have to buy:
Sandpaper- 24 grit, 40grit, 180grit
Filler - p38 (is that a brand name? or just the thickness :S )
Primer - 2pack (again is this a brand?)
Base Coat - Aerosol cans (Nissan Flame Red)
Lacquer

Did you get the Filler-Primer from a diy store, or a motor factor such as halfords??

tom, yeh, by hand is fine, it took about 2 days, about 6 hrs of work + drying times (but that was mid summer) all the materials were motor trade sourced (the markup at halfords and the like is criminal :suspect:)
i tend to use budget brands, but 3m sanding dics are worth the premium tho.
the 2pack primer gives a rock hard, thick skin over your repairs and the textured finish on the bumper and it does,nt sink like airdry primer, i only used 1/3 of the 1ltr tin, and with a wide soft brush you,ll get a good finish, and if you dust a coat of black on the primer, it serves as a guide coat (ie, any black bits still remaining will be lowspots or missed bits :))

Brilliant Thanks again Frank. Gonna try and get down to the Local motor factor today (well gonna try and find one lol) and start getting the bits together. Then when a hot day comes along, ill get out in the garden and start the work. Its a bit hard because i dont have a garage (well i do, but its been converted into a room, which isnt any good for me lol) So i suppose it will be a few weeks till we actualy get a hot day.
Thanks again frank!

Back