Bypassing dim dip unit on K11

Status
Not open for further replies.

joesouthgate

Super Moderator
Club Member
Right, trying to work out how to do this atm as it really annoys be when the headlights glow and make my LED sidelights look rubbish :p
Has anyone done this atall?
Joe

Not entirely sure what your talking about, do you mean your current side lights in the front of the vehicle? and when you turn your dipped beam on the LED's look dim?

yours doesn't have it pjg. it was only on prefacelifts. when you start the engine with the sidelights on it puts the headlight bulb on dimly.

I think my Almera GTI did this and I did also somehow stop it... I think there was a seperate fuse for it but could be different on Micra

sidelights on, ignition off:
DipDimoff.jpg

sidelights on, ignition on:
DipDimon.jpg

what type of H4's do you have in there? If you had blue ones would that make a difference at such a low voltage?

Dim dip

Hi guys,

I've looked at the wiring diagram for the K11 with dim dip - it looks as though the answer is to disconnect the yellow wire going to pin 5 of the dim dip unit (the dim dip unit is located close to the front wiper motor on my car).

If you do this, beware of:

1. This wire will have +12V on it when the ignition is on - make sure it is suitably insulated otherwise you will be replacing fuse "F12".

2. The dim dip feature is part of the MOT test checks - ensure you reconnect it before MOTing your vehicle.

Hope this helps

Graeme

Hi guys,

I've looked at the wiring diagram for the K11 with dim dip - it looks as though the answer is to disconnect the yellow wire going to pin 5 of the dim dip unit (the dim dip unit is located close to the front wiper motor on my car).

If you do this, beware of:

1. This wire will have +12V on it when the ignition is on - make sure it is suitably insulated otherwise you will be replacing fuse "F12".

2. The dim dip feature is part of the MOT test checks - ensure you reconnect it before MOTing your vehicle.

Hope this helps

Graeme

the dip dim unit should be a grey box in the drivers footwell, it says dip dim on it, and i am pretty sure it is only an MOT failure if it is there and not working because there are plenty of cars that dont have them.

there is probably a quick way of removing the box from the system all together,

Dim dip

Hi NeX,

I just checked my car and you are right, the dim dip unit is not where I said it was, it is just to the left of the fuse panel behind the lower dash (I got it mixed up with the wiper delay box).

There is a way to remove the dim dip unit completely, however the wiring required to replace it is not straight forward and is not secure (nowhere to locate the connectors as the unit is now gone).

If you want to remove the unit, then you can do the following :

Link the Purple wire (7) to the Red wire with yellow tracer (2)
AND
Link the Black wire (10) to the Yellow wire with the Black tracer (8)

ONLY do this AFTER the Dim Dip unit has been removed (you can use 1/4" male spade connectors to do this).

N.B. The 10 way connector is in 2 parts (a 4 way and a 6 way). Also the pin numbers are NOT intuitive !

I agree with NeX that it would be a particularly beligerant MOT tester that would fail a car for incorrect operation of the dim dip facility, however, I'm sure there are some out there that would and it's best not to give them an opportunity to fail your car.

In light of tha above, I would recommend the way I initially wrote about - that is leaving the dim dip unit in place and cutting the yellow wire (5) - you could make it easier to operate the dim dip unit at MOT time by placing a simple single pole switch in the break in the yellow wire.

FYI - the dim dip facility was fitted to all UK spec cars from 1987 to late 1990s even though was deemed 'illegal' by the European Commission in 1988 !

Hope this helps

Cheers

Graeme

very good guide mate,

i wonder if we could knock up some dummy plugs that you plug in, instead of the box and then swap them over come MOT time.

thing is, i would want to avoid the dip dim system because i want to use HID, the dim system damages the balasts. if i put the dim system back in for an MOT it still wouldn't work....

luckily i know some MOT people who are not so picky on little things like that, they care more about safty rather than outdated rules.

cheers for that mate, I will get another dipdim box from a scrappy and make a plug sometime.

Not so dim dip

Thank you for your kind words.
I would very much like to see your guide however when I click on the link, I get a message box saying I do not have permission to access the page - can you give me access ?

oh yer forgot about that mate, its cause you're not a full member, I'll PM you it in a minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back