Windscreen rubber seal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

curtis

Ex. Club Member
Hi,

Wondered if anyone know where i could get one from?
Possibly a website?

Just that im going to get the white k10 off corbs saturday and it might have a slight windscreen leak, so the first thing im going to do is replace the windscreen seal!

thanks

Curtis. :k10:

curtis

if the seal is,nt split, you only have to take the screen out and reseal it

think i might as well replace it if the rubber is cheap enough, but yes i see what you mean, thanks.

I've heard you can't remove the glass without breaking it though! I doubt there's much damage to the seal - you could probably just fix it up with some waterproof sealant.

When I had a new screen fitted, I used some "simoniz windscreen sealant" but in all honesty it felt just the same as any clear silicon I've used in the past- cost a few quid off ebay. try boshing some of that on first, I bet replacing the rubber would be a big job. Time for a pic:

100_1004.jpg

:laugh: :k10:

curtis

if yours is a toughened screen, they kick out a doddle, but if its laminated you have to be VERY carefull by pushing with your foot and flicking the rubber out with a screwdriver

taken loads out of my k10's

in fact mine is just sat on the front at the moment any ways!

not broke a front window in years!

easiest way is to get a suction pad (i use my dent pullers :p)

pull window outwards with the suction and then unfold the inner bit of the rubber (getting someone to pull on the suction cup is best whilst your inside)

advise:-

take of your internal rear view mirror (it gets in the way)
best to take out dash too but not neccesary if it gonna be too much hassle (it only takes 10 minutes to remove and could save you time and money in the long run)

you'll also find it not the rubber seal but rust that has gathered in the bottom left corner of the frame work!

its prone for holding water causing it to rust and then leak into the passenger footwell! (i take it the leak is to the passenger side)

treat the rust - re fibreglass/metal compound/leadbase whichever suits you most!

then re fit the rubber

put the rubber back on the windscreen - again with suction cup offer it to the frame - then just refold the rubber back over the lip of the frame!

may take you time th efirst cpl of times but once you get the hang of the folding of the rubber it gets to be a doddle!

:)

hope it helps :)

Wayne

curtis

a 6mm cord (inserted in the rubber with the 2 ends dangling together,center/top ) is handy for pulling the screen back in

yes thats a good tip but you have to be so careful not to tear the rubber

think ill just seal it first, see what happens for a bit, then if it presists then ill take the screen out, repair any rust etc thats down in the corners like quickdraw said then ill put a new seal on it, and that should stop it hopefully.

curtis

its not really a tip, its just the way its always been done
a bit of liquid soap on the rubber will ease it in
screen leaks are notoriously hard to cure without taking it out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back