Why use primer?

M

mackem_micra

Hey guys just a simple quick question here......

is it essential to use primer before spraying any part of bumpers bodykits etc??

i have just done the little plastic bit above the plate on my k11 n i didnt use primer and it looks ok - point taken my car needs a wash so it looks abit odd being cleaner than the rest but other than that....

TIA guys n gals

yes u need it, the paint will start coming away from the plastic as it doesnt have a key to stick to, you should also have laquered it after words as well, and also should have wet and dried it between layers of primer / coats of paint

Not all paint needs laquer. However metalic must have it.

Ben said:
as it doesnt have a key to stick to
What do you mean by this - it "sticks" to the plastic surely?!

just a newie to all this so just wondering

cheers for the help tho guys

so is there any decent primers about or does it not matter which one you use - this obviously bumps the cost up for spraying things yourself - is it wort it for colour coding and things like that or would it be worth getting it done proply?!

you will never compete with spray cans to a proper paint job. Spray can paint is just too thin. You have lots of types of primers, plastic primer, high build primer, etch primer etc. It all depends on what your spraying onto.

Ed

Ed said:
It all depends on what your spraying onto
well lets say my bumpers just for starters - seems i did the boot bit just by spraying the paint straight on ... my bad !!!

i just use the stuff out the quid shop when i painted my door/boot handle,its ok but i wouldnt use it on bigger more complex surfaces.

to be honest mate it doesnt sound like you have much of a clue, if it was me a would just get it done proffessionally

For the bumpers you will need a plastic primer,

you will have to clean the bumpers so they don't have grease or oil etc on them.

personally i've found that with enough laqure the paint wont flake off but relying on the laqure to hold the paint on is a bodge way of painting.

painting is very difficult and i have been doing it for ages and i'm still crap lol,

one of the most important things is to spray in a warm place so that paint can "bake" i've sprayed in the cold and it just doesn't dry...

for exterior work i always get it done pro because its the only way to get it looking good. plus you have a guarentee ;)

if i were you i'd experiment with painting different things untill you get the hang of it :)

Ben said:
to be honest mate it doesnt sound like you have much of a clue, if it was me a would just get it done proffessionally

me or makem_micra? i nar wot im doin but i only done it on the quick n cheap, im sellin the car now n the new micra will be garn in bodyshop.

Ben said:

mackem_micra said:
just a newie to all this so just wondering

didnt have to be like that i did say i was new to it all!!!

i painted bumper inserts with just plastic primer and nissan paint, did a real crap job of it aswell and they havnt peeled, tho they have bubbled abit. i also painted centre caps for my old alloys with just plastic primer and paint (should have laquered aswell) but still its a good finish with no problems after a few months.

im also going to try painting a rear spoiler myself with plaggy primer, nissan paint and laquer IF i can be arsed!

so you can do stuff yourself, it just wont look as good as a bodyshop.

key is: give yourself plenty of room and time. build up the coats of primer (2 or 3 coats all over), leave it 5 mins before each coat and then 24 hours when you finished primering. then sand down if you wish then do the same for coats of paint.

edit: as mentioned before ALWAYS clean (and sand a tiny bit) the surface your going to be spraying first!

So long as you have a lot of time, patience and a steady hand, a DIY paint job on a fairly small area is actually quite easy to do (such as when colour-coding bumpers, door strips, etc).

Your going to have to accept that it is never going to be as good as a proffesional job though, but if your willing to put in the work, you can get decent results.

I've done 2 bumpers,my mirrors,door strips,spoiler,door & boot handles and mud flaps for a total of about £120 (that includes all primers,paints,laquers,cleaners and wet & dry paper).

Assuming your a complete newbie like I was and don't have any friends in the car industry, your talking about at least £150 saved on body shop prices I'd say for the work I've had done. It doesn't look "perfect", but I'd say its passable for a DIY job.

Don't be put off doing it yourself, just MAKE SURE you have read up about it properly and practice your spraying technique on something other than your car until your happy with it.

A guide should really be done on this too as its a regularly asked question.....

Back