Why is my wheel wobbling?

Hi, this is my first post here so hopefully someone can help put my mind at ease. I was driving home from work yesterday evening and when I parked up, someone had followed me and got out to tell me that the rear passenger-side wheel was wobbling quite a lot and to get it checked out. I was quite surprised because the car felt fine, there'd been no strange noises or vibrations when I was driving.

I'm a new driver (passed my test in October) and I don't know anything about cars so I don't know what it could be. My Dad said it wouldn't be the wheel coming loose as I'd feel it when driving, so that has me worried it could be something pretty big which will cost a lot to get fixed.

I'm scared to drive the car now and I doubt I'll be able to get it into a garage until Tuesday thanks to the bank holiday weekend. I know it's not a lot of info to go on, but could anyone give me an idea of what's wrong and what it could cost to get fixed? I'm going to be fretting about this all weekend now :-(

Thanks

Call out yours or dads breakdown service (AA, RAC) etc to change the wheel and spare. Get them to check tyre/wheel is buckled or underinflated and also to check the corresponding suspension mountings and components at no charge! ;) :cool:

You may have lost a balancing weight, bulge in tyre, wheel bearing, lots of things. Normally never a lot and a cheap fix. on the back you hardly ever notice anything until the wheel drops off (joking)
Have a look at the tyre fitting, it may be fitted badly. Wouldn't worry to much mate. If you didn't feel it yourself, its not a lot....drive it - I would.

Might be as simple as your plastic wheel trim is not sitting flush on the wheel. They rarely sit totally flat.
If it is at an angle, then it will look like the whole wheel is wobbling when viewed from the rear.
Take the trim off and get someone to follow you again, to see if it still looks like it's wobbling.

Oh, and while the trim is off, check the tightness of the wheel nuts.

Jack the car up and spin the wheel. Also grab both sides of the wheel and try to wobble it side to side and up and down. Then you'll know what you're dealing with.

Back