Wheel offset?

CMF_chilidawg

» CMF Member
ok, call me insecure. i'm just really close to ordering some brand new volks and for the $$$ i'm putting down for em, i just wanted to know wat ur reactions were to changing from 14x6 et?? to 14x6.5 et15, and 185/60 to 195/45 rubbers.

my assumption is there shouldn't be a problem as far as bolting them on went, leaving the only problem left to be that maybe then the wheels wouldn't even clear the fenders. BUT, would the lowered profile 45 rubbers have "saved" that?

ANY thoughts at all would be great help :)

cheers!

CMF_chilidawg

» CMF Member
if i'm not mistaken, et15 means +15 offset. thing is i'm not sure wat my current wheels' offset is so i wont know wat the difference will be, tho i'm almost certain its close to stock, maybe +30odd offset?

so assuming i'm going from +35 to +15 offset, wat difficulties am i likely to encounter? also, i'll be swithing to wider, lower profile tyres.

wat do u mean "if the offset is right", yom? :p

CMF_GTRHOLIC

» CMF Member
a +25 offset will bring the front wheels in line with the guards. a +25 offset on the rears seem to scrub even with the guards rolled. i am using tein coilovers though, but i dont see how that would make a lot of difference. if you go a +15 that will stick out a further 10mm past the guards. the closer the number to zero the more the wheel will stick out from the center. the higher the number, the closer the wheel will sit to the car. Having said that, you can move the wheel out with spacers etc to achieve a desired offset. if you get a big offset, ie closer to zero, you cant move the wheel in, your offset is fixed.

CMF_chilidawg

» CMF Member
hmm, thx for the heads up with the rear guards, never would've seen that coming. other than that, are there any adverse effects on handling or performance if i go +15? if its gonna be too much trouble i'm just gonna put 195/45 on the 14x6's n screw the 14x6.5 cuz it only comes in +15 offset.

thx alot for the advice guys!

CMF_GTRHOLIC

» CMF Member
not necessarily true. offset is calculated from the vertical center to the outer edge and therefore has nothing to do with where the spokes start in relation to the outer edge. its all to do with rim design. eg a te37 or ce28 maybe more dish, but a work emotion or r34 gtr rim, spokes go all the way to the edge, therefore no dish.

CMF_chilidawg

» CMF Member
heh, true :p well, hopefully the dealer will have product images of some sort. so then i read somewhere that straying too far from ur vehicle's original offset might have adverse affects on handling + safety, but i think it was just a warning cuz they didn't go into detail bout the affects...

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
They're right to say that, but it depends what you're changing from and to. If what you're choosing isn't a crazy width/offset setup going from stock cheesecutter wheels then you're more likely to have positive effects with handling and braking as long as brakes, tyres and whatnot are up to scratch.

The closer to 0 and negative offset you go, the more you're increasing the track of the wheels, which will change things.

Just look up some articles on the matter so you can make an informed decision when you get some wheels.

---dens

CMF_chilidawg

» CMF Member
just wanna share wat i found online in various sites, in case anyone finds themselves in similar situations as i...

1. fwd and some newer rwd cars generally have higher positive offset wheels.
2. using an offset too far from ur stock offset might cause ur suspension components and/or wheel bearings to wear out faster, even tho increased track gives better cornering ability and having ur wheels stick out ur guards a tad looks uber cool.

CMF_Daz

» CMF Member
Morning
I must confess I didnt even look into the offset when ordering my new wheels, just took the dealers "they will fit" at face value. Have ordered Speedywheels "Fusion" 15" ET38 195/45R15 Tyres. Am I going to have problems with them rubbing? Have original springs/shocks. What is the offset of the basic original 13" steel rims I am replacing?
Regards
Darren

Back