Wheel Bearings.. Are These A Common Problem?!

Hey im getting a strange whining/whiring from the rear and between 40-60mph, im certain there the rear wheel bearings even though when the wheels are jacked up i cant feel any roughness/excess play....

Ive read that these are a common problem is this true?

Cheers for any input :)

Mainly the rears, not so much the fronts?... Cant believe these are going so soon, the car has only done 73k miles lol... my old astra never had anything mechanical and that was absolutely abused for its 155k miles lol

Ok so today i changed the rear wheel bearings! Nice easy job to be fair, best way to do it is with a press, but i used a heavy mallet to smash the old bearings out and using the outer race of one of the old bearings drifted the news ones in with the mallet, the new ones went in alot easier than the old ones came out.

All great now no howling/whiring what soever - On closer inspection of the bearings they were showing signs of discolouring (aka going yellow). This was because the grease that was in the bearings had started to harden/fail and therefore the bearings were getting hot/making noise.

I think the failure on mine was purely because of the lubrication not doing its job properly rather that technical fault with the mechanical components of the bearings as there was no sign of metallic pick-up or such

Good work and remember we (well I) always love a photographic tutorial on this sort of thing!

I would have sorted some pics out but the haynes manual covers it very well in this area anyways i didnt feel it was necessary sorry :(

Im hoping the fronts are abit more robust than the rears as they are harder to change! :( :p

Cheers Daren, just done front shocks as well so should be on my site over this weekend :).

Back