Whats the law regarding...

B

Ben

In car entertainment?? i.e. These HU where a moniter flips out and plays like the TV or a DVD or summit like that? Does the same law apply to Sat Nav? as ive heard its illegal to drive with the tv bit on but whats the difference between sat nav?

Also, if you were to buy one of these HU where the moniter flips out to play dvd etc do they normally come with an option to turn the tv bit off but keep the sound coming just like a normal HU?

Cheers Ben

with screens im pretty sure you have to wire it up tothe handbrake.. but dont no about screens that are attached to the head unit, may apply to those to, maybe it can be hooked up in a similar way so only the screen goes off when the handbrake is disengaged

I don't think theres a specific law about screens in the car. But this of course might not stop a copper charging you with driving without due care and attention if he saw you looking at one.
Yeah to confirm nearly all screens I'v seen have a negative lead that can be wired to the handbrake, this prevents a picture been displayed (normally replaced with nice warning msg about safety) but keeps the headunit working (sound etc) when the handbrake isn't up. If you don't like this feature simply ground this lead permeantly and you get tv all time :laugh:

It's gotta have some grey areas, watching a "tv" is no different to watching a sat nav, you're still watching something!

Also, thigs like when Pimp My Ride say the car has rear headrest monitors for the people driving behind to see, this seems to state you're driving too, also if you have passengers you should be ok as it's gonna be hard to prove you were watching it!

This is not a grey area. The driver must not beable to see any film or tv etc whilst driving. however satnav is allowed as its car related information. So TV in view youll be busted, Satnav is perfectly fine. Also rather amusingly, your not allowed a CRT tube monitor/tv in the dash of a car at all!

In my bosses volvo, the in dash tv works until he hits about 10 mph and it switches back to Sat nav. When he goes below 10, it comes back on. Pretty good for traffic jams etc...

What about those £1000 HU dvd, tv, sat nav systems?
Guy at work, has one set up to use tv/dvd anytime, but seeing as it looks like a tv screen can he get in trouble even when looking at sat nav?

Back